Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,740   Online: 911

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Just bought my first period daguerrotype!

I was at an antiques mall over the weekend and found a genuine vintage daguerrotype for $2! It is in poor shape, but nonetheless, it is a genuine dag. It's really cool to finally see one when most of what you see labelled as a daguerrotype in antiques malls are actually cased tintypes or ambrotypes. I'm psyched. Now I'm on the hunt for more of them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Awesome.

I'd just like to start collecting handmade black and white prints. I've never seen a Daguerreotype close up...can you...er...take a photo of it and post it?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Congrats,

Its a slippery slope!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bought one on ebay a year ago just to see what they're really like. The trick is to find a listing with a bad picture - daguerrotypes are very difficult to photograph! If the picture in the auction looks good, it's probably a tintype
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
    Awesome.

I'd just like to start collecting handmade black and white prints. I've never seen a Daguerreotype close up...can you...er...take a photo of it and post it?
    I'll have to try and play around with lighting it - the biggest problem is that the underlying material behind the image is essentially a highly polished mirror. If I can be forgiven for doing it, I'll try it with my d*g*t*l (one of the few things it's good for, since I'll have to do a LOT of dorking around and experimenting with the lighting to get it right).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I´m officially now a Daguerr-adict. I bought a second one here in Argentina. This one is a world different, basically museum quality. The case is complete, and the image is easy to see, and there is NO tarnish forming around the edges. This one cost a fair bit more than the first one, but I think the price was fair given the quality. This one is of an Argentinian lady from approximately 1860. When I get home, I´ll try to shoot a digipic of it to post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Aren't they great? I have a couple old dags and I've started collecting ambrotypes of late. Maybe we could get a new APUG gallery started up to show off pieces in our collections.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    This one is of an Argentinian lady from approximately 1860.
    Possibly earlier than that... the ambrotype technology came in during the mid-1850s and is known to have quickly replaced daguerreotypes. By the 1860s tintypes (ferrotypes) -- a technology two generations "more advanced" than dags -- was beginning to become the favored technology.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin