Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 705

Shooter
    Multi Format

National Graflex Series II

Anyone knows about this little gem? I just got one through the well known bidding place and it's in nearly mint condition. All I know is that it was made between 1934 and 1941, it's a 120 size camera with mirror (SLR) and folding viewing hood. Any variations to this as in lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two lenses for it, 75/3.5 and 140/6.3 tele, both by B&L.

Images
    It was a little before my time (believe it or not), and I always wondered what the reason was that it apparently had failed. Guess it must be the horizontal only format? Maybe they should have tried a 6x6 square?

Hi,
    I have a National Graflex with the 75mm Tessar that came with it. Mine is in need of repair, as the shutter curtin does not close all the way, thus overexposing the edge of the film. The lens impressed me when I saw the first results. It is very sharp and snappy. There is also a 140mm f/6.3 that can be used on the II model, but not on the I model. It is a fun/funky camera to use, when working properly. It is suprisingly light for a 2 1/4 slr.
    Best of luck.
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That camera you have is really in sweet condition. I have one in a state of mis-/dis-repair that needs new shutter curtains.

It's an unassuming camera when it's closed. It looks more like a tin for sweets than a camera. But once you pop open the hood (well, both hoods) and fold down the lens, it's all business.

It's one of three cameras that I want to get into service this year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all! I now have a little more knowledge on this baby.

Shooter
    35mm RF

National Graflex series II

MItica,

I have a series II also, with the normal lens. I also have the users manual for it, and I can send you a scanned copy of it, if that would be of help.

Best regards,

Larry Dawson
    ldawson@jisp.net

Quote Originally Posted by mitica100 View Post
    Thanks to all! I now have a little more knowledge on this baby.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    It was a little before my time (believe it or not), and I always wondered what the reason was that it apparently had failed. Guess it must be the horizontal only format? Maybe they should have tried a 6x6 square?
    From what I gather, the camera was marketed to women, and as usual anytime men design something to market for women it's a failure (can anybody remember the Dodge LaFemme?)

It was cumbersome to shoot with the knobs in the wrong places and it wasn't very reliable. The story goes that they started marketing the camera's size right after the Engineering Dept said they could make it fly. When they came back to the President saying they really really needed to make ____ a 1/4" longer (wider, deeper) he threw them out and insisted that they make it to the original dimensions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dawson View Post
    MItica,

I have a series II also, with the normal lens. I also have the users manual for it, and I can send you a scanned copy of it, if that would be of help.

Best regards,

Larry Dawson
    ldawson@jisp.net

Wow! Thanks Larry, I would love a scanned copy of it.

Thanks.

Dimitri

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin