Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,567   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Large Format

Rebuilding Century View

I know that a lot of people are interested in this type of things, so I have started an ongoing saga of the rebuild of an old Century View. The daily updates can be seen on teh following link. In the second days posting, there are pictures of the camera from the time I purchased it. I am now about a third of the way through the rebuild. Next on the list is polishing all the brass, building the bellows, and reassembling.

http://century-camera.livejournal.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are making a very good progress. Good luck on the rest of the project.

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting journal, I await future installments with enthusiasm as I intend to resore my huge Century process camera soon.

The journal was even better when I eventually worked out that it is meant to be read from the bottom up.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Postings after today will be a little slower coming for about a week. I am getting ready to start the bellows building. As noted in journal, camera itself is assembled now except for lensboard/lens and bellows. I will be posting progress on bellows.
    Steven, Your camera is not really in all that bad condition. Best thing to do is to "just start". It is addictive, however. And like I posted in another thread started by you, I have a twin to that one, and it looked a helluva lot worse than that. It is now just a huge "pinholer". Fun, though. There is another UK shooter that just rebuilt an old camera and posted some pics and headaches. Here is a link to the thread he started.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=23340
    Last edited by Freneticist; 04-02-2007 at 06:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling, dang-it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Freneticist,

Thanks for the link.

I will be tackling the Century Graphic soon, but after just returning to photography after a long lay off I intend to get some straightforward shooting, developing and printing under my belt, first, before I get sidetracked!

It will make a good project for the summer; sitting outside on the patio with a front standard, pile of glasspaper and a glass of beer in the sun

I'll get a log of progress started when I do begin.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    By George, I think I've got it!
    I think I have the Century finished.
    Here is a link to a couple pics of the finished camera.
    I was unable to upload any pics here that were any larger than a book of matches, so take a look at this link. I will be posting final pics and comments on the livejournal page later. There is a little info on the bellows and the building of them posted already. And just to remind, a lot of the "before" and "during" the rebuild.
    Any comments and/or criticisms are welcome. Since this is a hobby/past-time, I am always looking for input to improve on the next one.

http://century-camera.livejournal.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wonderful!

All you need now is a better camera stand than that damn' plaster column...

Seriously, congratulations, and have fun using it!

Cheers,

R.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin