Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,623   Online: 701

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old film spools

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old film spools

Hi, I am trying to find some old & odd sized film spools, namely spools for the 117 film size. Any idea as to where I can get hold of one??

120 film will fit onto 117 film spool. Amazingly I have managed to obtain one of these today (4 May!!), need at least one more so I can respool and get the camera working again!!

Marcus
    Last edited by Marcus; 05-04-2007 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marcus, I think the 117 spool is just a tad wider than the 120, probably a thinner spool too. I have an old 620 folder that I use 120 film in. I don't re-spool it either. What I do is take some 60 grit sand paper wrap it on a block and start sanding the plastic edges off and sand the top and bottom spindle thinner so it will fit the camera. It may sound like a hassle but it only takes me 5-10 minutes to get it to fit and the film works just fine. Just an idea.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Derek,

Thanks for you kind reply. Film width if fine on the 117 spool that I have, 120 film will fit. It is the smaller diameter that I need - 120 spool is 1 inch wide, 117 spool 7/8 inch!!

I know about 620 spools. Even they won't fit.

Thanks again,

Marcus

Shooter
    35mm RF

117 spools

I believe that the 117 spool first appeared in the original Brownie. It may also have been used, with a different designation, in the Ica Icarette.

I have an Icarette which most sources say takes 120 film. That is correct only for the film and paper. a 120 spool will not fit. A 620mspool will fit but
    the film can not be advanced because the key slot is too small.
    I cut down a plastic 120 spool to 620 size flanges and Lo! it will wind.

I have discussed the spool size with other Brownie users and collectors and so far, none has been able to confirm the 117 data. But I believe it will
    work if you grind plastic 120 spools' flanges down to 620 diameter.

PLeas elet me know if that works for you.

Best regards,

Larry Dawson
    ldawson@jisp.net

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Hi, I am trying to find some old & odd sized film spools, namely spools for the 117 film size. Any idea as to where I can get hold of one??

120 film will fit onto 117 film spool. Amazingly I have managed to obtain one of these today (4 May!!), need at least one more so I can respool and get the camera working again!!

Marcus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dawson View Post
    I believe that the 117 spool first appeared in the original Brownie. It may also have been used, with a different designation, in the Ica Icarette.

I have discussed the spool size with other Brownie users and collectors and so far, none has been able to confirm the 117 data. But I believe it will
    work if you grind plastic 120 spools' flanges down to 620 diameter.

PLeas elet me know if that works for you.
    Hi Larry,

Thanks for replying. I have an original Brownie, hence my problem. I also have an Ensign camera (1920/30's) which also takes the 117 size film. The spool came with the Ensign!

I have discovered that a 120 spool is too wide on the diameter and 620 has the wrong size holes at each end, but otherwise okay sizewise. So other than obtaining a second 117 spool and respooling, I feel my only other option is to grind a 120 spool down to 620/117 size.

Will grinding a spool affect the film if done with the film still on the spool?? What is the easiest way of doing this - a file or by sandpaper?

Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

spool??

Marcus: here is a long shot for you to think about, jury-rig a way for the spool to chuck into a electric drill and set it at its lowest speed, and then apply a file to it or sand paper to it while it rotates, this should help you bring the spool into the size you need:\\\Lauren
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can measure the diameter you need and post it here or PM it to me, I will try turning this down in my Sherline lathe. I have extra 120 spools to use.

I think cutting the flange down would be better than sanding it down. If you do sand it, be sure to wash the entire spool as the grit/dust may be caught in the smallest places and end up on your film or in your camera.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like I said Marcus, I use a very rough sheet of sand paper and grind it down by hand. It only takes about 10 minutes to grind a 120 spool with the film on it. So far I have had no ill effects to the film when I grind it down. Use your spare 117 spool to be your take up spool so you don't have to worry about the slot size.

D.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank for all your kind replies.

I have now managed to reduce a 120 spool to 620 proportions, and fits accordingly. All I have to do is to respool a film!

Wish me luck.....

Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why are you respooling? just grind down the 120 spool with the film on it.

D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin