Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 864
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Somewhat sideways from the above, I was in Solms a couple of weeks ago and they tell me that M-series sales are back at 1968 levels, WAY above recent years.

    Of course much of this is down to the M8 (a superb camera, by the way, despite the internet hoop-la) but M7 and MP sales are increasing as well.

    Either way, Leica is in a better state than for a very long time. Deservedly.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  2. #22
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    ... is down to the M8 (a superb camera, by the way...
    Subjective. Personally I wouldn't part up with £2,500 for an unproven digicam with so many 'teething problems'.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Subjective. Personally I wouldn't part up with £2,500 for an unproven digicam with so many 'teething problems'.
    I hear what you say, but I've tried it (maybe 3,000 pics so far), and the drawbacks are wildly overstated. The problems are mostly encountered by lawyers and dentists 'testing' the camera, not by photographers who shoot pictures with it.

    A wonderful quote from someone I met recently (not at Leica!):

    'People ask digital cameras to do things they couldn't do themselves. Then, when the cameras can't do it, they don't understand why, because they can't do it themselves.'

    A powerful argument, in itself, for learning with all-manual cameras, preferably film.

    The M8 is the only half-affordable digitable camera that I enjoy using. Yes, some of the scanning backs are great (at three times the price of a Leica, plus camera and lenses) and the Hasseblad is very nice, if ugly. But even at three grand, you can see where the money goes on a Leica. Note that I say 'half affordable', not 'affordable'.

    Or, of course, you can use film: cheaper and better, but without the instant feedback that is often invaluable for professional photography, where getting a decent picture, in the can, before you strike the set or leave the scene, is often more important than a 99 per cent chance of getting the best possible picture.

    Cheers,

    R.

  4. #24
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    I hear what you say, but I've tried it (maybe 3,000 pics so far), and the drawbacks are wildly overstated. The problems are mostly encountered by lawyers and dentists 'testing' the camera, not by photographers who shoot pictures with it.

    A wonderful quote from someone I met recently (not at Leica!):

    'People ask digital cameras to do things they couldn't do themselves. Then, when the cameras can't do it, they don't understand why, because they can't do it themselves.'

    A powerful argument, in itself, for learning with all-manual cameras, preferably film.

    The M8 is the only half-affordable digitable camera that I enjoy using. Yes, some of the scanning backs are great (at three times the price of a Leica, plus camera and lenses) and the Hasseblad is very nice, if ugly. But even at three grand, you can see where the money goes on a Leica. Note that I say 'half affordable', not 'affordable'.

    Or, of course, you can use film: cheaper and better, but without the instant feedback that is often invaluable for professional photography, where getting a decent picture, in the can, before you strike the set or leave the scene, is often more important than a 99 per cent chance of getting the best possible picture.

    Cheers,

    R.
    Are you on the payroll now Roger?

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    231
    I'm waiting on the glut. i keep hearing about it, but I don't see much downward deflection in the price of the cameras and gear I'm interested in (from about five years ago). I probably won't live to see it.

    Shoot, I just checked the completed listings on epay today and the average winning bid for a C330(,f,s) w/ 80mm lens set is about 20% higher than when I was researching my own purchase four years ago. Anecdotal, sure, and just a frozen slice from the dynamic process of time, but still indicative of stable or rising prices for this item.

    The Mamiya 6s, 7s, and 7iis ain't budged either.

    Just my observation.

    K.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    The danger of wives throwing stuff in the trash is bigger than you might think!
    Not in a fit of pre-divorce pique, neccesarily, but very often widows (and I suppose widowers too) often have no interest in, and no understanding of, their deceased loved ones hobbies.

    Many years ago our next door neighbour died in his late 80s. He was a collector of 'memorabilia'. Or, to his wife's viewpoint, 'rubbish'. After he died she had a nice big bonfire. We don't think there was ill feeling at work, she simply had no idea that anyone would be interested in this old rubbish.

    Old 'rubbish'... well, my Dad was leaning over the fence trying to see what she was burning, (whilst my Mother was dragging him back shouting 'leave her to greive in her own way!" Roughly translated this means "I don't want any of that garbage in my house!")

    Point is, he had a large collection of photographs. My Dad did sneak in and casually ask if he could have a look at one album, which she willingly gave him. It was a collection of views of sailing ships in Whitby harber. Apparently the old man was raised there.... before the first World war, which seemed to be the vintage of the album. The prints were all stamped "F.M.S." :-o

    I don't even want to think about what went onto the bonfire....

    A similar well known story concerned a guy whose hobby was photographing the canals in the Midlands of Britain. He went out most weekends from the 1930s until his death photographing this changing industrial landscape. Historians who new his work realised his negative collection must be a treasure trove of history. When they discovered he had died they made approaches to his widow tentaively enquiring about plans for this archive - a few weeks after she had dumped the whole lot in the skip. The local council even organised a search of the local landfill, but nothing was ever found...

    And cameras too, they usually turn up at antique centres after the 'house clearers' have been in. An aquaintaince of mine 'in the trade' tells me that they usually collect at least one camera from each house, usually something worthless, but occassionally something priceless. They pay a flat fee to clear a house either way...

    I'm sure there is a moral here, somewhere.

  7. #27
    jstraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,703
    Images
    42
    What is "F.M.S.?"
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

  8. #28
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,432
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    What is "F.M.S.?"
    Frank Meadow Sutcliffe

    http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/


    Steve.

  9. #29
    jstraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,703
    Images
    42
    thanks
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

  10. #30
    jsfyfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    77
    Images
    21
    Here's another data point. A lot of unsold pieces at Tamarkin's spring auction, and those that sold (e.g. Rolleiflex) went for what I would call a 'low to average' price. Tamarkin usually has pretty good quality stuff. I guess they either didn't get what they wanted or no one wanted them. (Although someone paid big bucks ($55K) for the Leica Gun Outfit).

    http://www.tamarkin.com/auction/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin