Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,635   Online: 785

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DKT

i'm not so sure about the cased images--daguerrotypes, ambrotypes, ferrotypes etc, and the cyanotypes. my experiences with conservators has been they wanted to minimize any sort of display times for these things. there are physical problems with the images as well--things happen to the binders used in the various sections where the glass covers are held on for example and also the base materials as well. the images can break down from the inside out almost. usually when they're displayed, it's under very low light levels, or they're covered and only uncovered for short periods of time for viewing. my experience with cyanotypes has been pretty limited in terms of museum pieces, but here again--in having to copy them I had to be very careful with the types of lighting used and the duration of time. simply put--the reason why these things still exist as old photos, is that they're kept in the dark in storage. my opinions only, as always.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was originally asking about the more 'modern' films and prints..
    Kodachrome seems to be a winner.. but are people talking about the film or prints?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My father has negatives shot by his father in 1918, which are still in very good condition. The prints, which were either processed on shipboard or at the drugstore, are also in pretty good shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I was originally asking about the more 'modern' films and prints..
    Photogravures are being made in this house as I write this.

( www.susanvossgravures.blogspot.com )
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin