Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,449   Online: 707

Thread: Kalart Press

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kalart Press

Interesting day. Well, it's only 50-60 years old, but I just got my latest Kalart Press Camera today. perhaps one of the few remaining working examples. The range finder seems 'on', the interlocks seem to work correctly, The little piece at the top is not original, I can take care of that, and the shutter seems to be fairly accurate. Glass looks clean. I can't wait to put some film through it.

Now I have two other KPCs. Neither has the electronics working correctly, one has a balky Rapax shutter (Carol??). All three 127 Raptars are in nice shape. One shutter is a Rapax-X so I can use it with a flash. I have some flash bulbs for this and I have four flash units, one with a removable head on an expandable wire. All fairly exotic accessories. Maybe I'll engage the daughters to be models one more time and see what I can do with this.

The things I don't have to make this a complete set are the special Kalart film holders that prevent double exposure nor do I have anything other than the 127 Raptars and their associated black screen range finder inserts.

So... how many of these are out in APUG land?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Images
    As I recall, Kalart shot initially themselves in the foot by choosing the 3.25x4.25 format, instead of 4x5 which would have made them eligable for military contracts to develop the thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    As I recall, Kalart shot initially themselves in the foot by choosing the 3.25x4.25 format, instead of 4x5 which would have made them eligable for military contracts to develop the thing.
    Bill,
    It's worse than that. The camera was developed post WW2. The need for 3.25x4.25 negatives was at it's end. Most photo-journalism was done with 4x5 Speeds or Crowns, or more likely, Rollies and soon to be omnipresent 35mm range finders (Can you say Leica III?) and soon to be SLRs.

Too complicated, too out of date with where the industry was going. And a damned fine camera.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently got my hands on a Kalart Press Camera that appears to be in great condition. Lightly used if at all. All I know about the camera is what I've researched online. Would love to see if I can get film/cut film for it but it would be a new experience.

Do these cameras have much of any value? I've seen a few posts online regard them as "rare" or "collectible" but the few photographers that I've met that seem to be somewhat familiar with it have told me it is a great camera but has no real value as a collectible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya know, I don't know. I have the complete setup, a setup that includes the Rapax - X shutter, a couple of flash units, travel case, etc. Haven't tried to sell it and really haven't followed prices on EBay.

Film is available. http://www.freestylephoto.biz.

if you need a film holder or two, let me know.

tim in san jose

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin