Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,188   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would ask the auction houses and other dealers as to the impact on value of the image. It could go either way, since the edition(s) of it are all closed now. My inclination would be to say it would reduce the value, because the image would be of uncertain provenance at that point, but get a more expert opinion. Folks who deal in his images may know more about what that missing edition number means relative to his production of images. If someone will state that it adds value to the image, I'd get that in writing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I have checked out Bonham's.
    I wouldn't consider anyone but a reputable dealer in photographic art.

Have you had the collection appraised? That would be the first step. I am assuming you have for insurance purposes? Again, any reputable dealer will be able to do this for you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    I wouldn't consider anyone but a reputable dealer in photographic art.

Have you had the collection appraised? That would be the first step. I am assuming you have for insurance purposes? Again, any reputable dealer will be able to do this for you.
    I'm trying to find one that won't take 40%-50% of the sale. The last 'name' gallery that I sold a print thru treated me unfairly. It left a bad taste in my mouth, as you can imagine. I won't say what gallery it was. I will check out the commissions that Christies\Southby's charges - if they aren't reputable I don't know who is. I understand that an appraisal will be required prior to a sale. I have had the major pieces appraised.

Can you recommend a reputable dealer (via PM)?

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I contacted Christies and sent them a list of my collection. They were not interested (too contemporary). They suggested that I contact Swann Galleries in NYC, which I did. A nice lady called me back and was interested in seeing my inventory. I should hear back from her on Monday. I also left a message with the gallery director of Weston Gallery in Carmel, a place where I've done a lot of busines and that I think is very reputable.

-R

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Reggie,

I am a fan of loranc and considering opening a gallery so I have done some research and have some options you can consider. Often there are folks that that help broker contections between the seller and the buyer making a win win for all parties involved for a much smaller commission than the gallery usual cut because they have a quick sale and build customer loayalty to represent them for other opportunities. The art agent can also provide the buyer with assurances for their big investment which is very important at the level you are talking. If you are insterested in some good references I am happy to share what I have learned as I to hope my prints will easy my retirement journey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin