Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,885   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tuesday - Argust 7th - It's that time!

Having participated (and chuckled a bit) last year, just thought I'd pass along a link for all you Argus owners.

Argust 7th

A few days ago I actually ripped my C3 apart to the point of cleaning the internal surfaces of the viewfinder and rangfinder. Wow -- it is possible to see through it! Those teeny-tiny windows are still a tad tedious for those of us whose eyes have seen six-plus decades, but at least now they're clear.

Think I'll splurge on color this year.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My late father in law left me a mint condition Argus which I just received yesterday. There's no model # on it, but I suppose I could do some searches via the serial number to find out more about it. Next year I'll be sure to bring it out on Argust 7th!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got one of those from my grandfather. It's a bit dirty and sticky, but I've been a little nervous about disassembling it.

How hard is it to get opened and back together, DaveT?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Turns out mine's a Matchmatic. Minus the selenium meter unfortunately.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    My late father in law left me a mint condition Argus which I just received yesterday. There's no model # on it, but I suppose I could do some searches via the serial number to find out more about it. Next year I'll be sure to bring it out on Argust 7th!
    I believe next year's Argust day will be the 8th. First year on the 1st, second year on the 2nd, and so on. I didn't want you to dedicate the next year of your life to this just to blow it on the last day.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by light leak View Post
    I believe next year's Argust day will be the 8th. First year on the 1st, second year on the 2nd, and so on. I didn't want you to dedicate the next year of your life to this just to blow it on the last day.

Jonathan
    Yes, Jonathan is correct -- somehow they got into August (last digit of the year)th, not sure what the plan is for 2010!

It was hot as all get out, but I was pretty happy with the outcome. That's probably the first time that box has seen a roll of color film since the mid-sixties.

There are a fair number of shots up in the Argust 7th Gallery.

By all means put Argust 8th on your 2008 schedule. Argus Day has a long way to go to catch up with Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day!

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    I've got one of those from my grandfather. It's a bit dirty and sticky, but I've been a little nervous about disassembling it.

How hard is it to get opened and back together, DaveT?
    Easier than watchmaking.

Some good resources (plus a #$&@* pop-up or two) are linked throuigh the Argus Collectors Group. There's about a twenty page document with some photographs for working on the C3. The trickiest thing with disassembly/reassembly of the C3 is a weird little bar that couples to the shutter escapement and follows a cam on the shutter speed dial. This bar has to be hooked into a link on the body and slipped into a loop on the front panel as you reinstall the front and might make one wish our species had evolved a third hand with tweezer-like fingers. :rolleyes:

That site has a mailing list type of forum which I've never tried, but no doubt you could get more detailed answers on specific questions.

DaveT
    Last edited by DWThomas; 08-21-2007 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification (hopefully)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin