Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,251   Online: 1074

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

9 x 11.5 cm or 3.5 x 4.5" negatives question

Hi,

I found a bunch of old family negatives from around the late 1920s or early 30s. No information on who the photographer was or what was used. The negatives measure about 9 x 11.5 cm (or 3.5 x 4.5"). I'm wondering what the actual film format would have been for this, and what kind of camera would have been used. Would this have been sheet film? Is this quarter plate (according to google 3 1/4" x 4 1/4", a bit too small perhaps) or something else? What would be a representative camera for this kind of format?

Thanks,
    Walter

Incidentally I did a couple of van dyke brown prints of them and they look really nice. I'll put 'em in the gallery once I get around to scanning them.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sheet film is stiff, roll film is noticeably thinner and floppier and has a tendency to curl. Roll film was made in many sizes over the years:
    http://www.bvipirate.com/Kodak/FilmHist.html
    If your negs are rollfilm and measure 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches overall, with picture area 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 inches, they could very well be 118 rollfilm, which as the table says came out in 1900 and was made until 1961. There would have been numerous folding Kodaks which took 118 film, usually better specified and owned by people willing to pay a little more to get bigger contact prints. There would no doubt also have been rollfilm backs to fit onto other cameras which normally took quarter-plates.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The negs out of my early 1900's 3x4 Auto Graflex measure 3.25 x 4.25. Some of the holders have removable inserts for plate's.
    W.A. Crider

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin