Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,742   Online: 934
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    c6h6o3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    3,172
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    People "in the know" here in France —involved in the restoration* of Niepce's home in Chalon-sur-Saône and the creation of the website, www.niepce.com — have indicated to me that they seriously doubt that this camera was that of Niepce. Bidder beware!
    That's why I would want Sotheby's or Christie's to verify the provenance. Such an item auctioned on Ebay makes me nervous just for that fact alone.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    7 km from Paris in France
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4

    Niepce small camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    People "in the know" here in France —involved in the restoration* of Niepce's home in Chalon-sur-Saône and the creation of the website, www.niepce.com — have indicated to me that they seriously doubt that this camera was that of Niepce. Bidder beware!

    Best,

    Christopher

    PS - it should be mentioned that during the restoration —and transformation— of the house into a museum, they actually found several of Niepce's cameras and lab equipment in the attic . . .
    . . . . . .
    Hello Christopher,
    People "in the know" seriously doubt that this camera was that of Niépce.
    It would be interesting to know what "People in the know" know exactly (Sorry for the pun!). To be a bit more serious and without any controversy, anybody can have his opinion, what happens if people "in the know" are wrong? They just miss a very very interesting camera... Just consider that this camera has been found 25 years ago at 4 km from the place where ALL THE NIEPCE's STUFF has been stored for more than a century. Consider that this very small camera has an optical specs proportionally similar (aperture, field coverage) to that of the large camera which shot the Austin University first heliography etc. etc.
    All the best.
    Pierre-Jean

  3. #13
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,408
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bickart View Post
    Hello Christopher,
    People "in the know" seriously doubt that this camera was that of Niépce.
    It would be interesting to know what "People in the know" know exactly (Sorry for the pun!). To be a bit more serious and without any controversy, anybody can have his opinion, what happens if people "in the know" are wrong? They just miss a very very interesting camera... Just consider that this camera has been found 25 years ago at 4 km from the place where ALL THE NIEPCE's STUFF has been stored for more than a century. Consider that this very small camera has an optical specs proportionally similar (aperture, field coverage) to that of the large camera which shot the Austin University first heliography etc. etc.
    All the best.
    Pierre-Jean
    Pierre-Jean,

    Welcome to APUG. This being a rather strongly worded first post, may we ask if you are in anyway connected to the camera or auction?

    John Powers

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    283

    Niepce camera SOLD

    Well folks, the Niepce camera sold today for 42,000 Euros / $59,505.60.
    Real or hoax? Who knows, of course someone knows. In either case, there were two bidders that made 27 bids in a two minute time frame that were convinced it was worth having. I hope it went to a good home!
    In case anyone is interested, the design of the two element lens appears to be very similar to the Rodenstock Imagon.
    All the best,
    Sam

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,355
    In support of Chris' Nisperos' report, from the horse's mouth, as it were: http://www.niepce.com/pages/appareil.html

    For those of you who don't read french, the key points are:

    Auction Team Koln provided none of the documentation promised.

    There's no evidence that Niepce used such a camera or lens.

    Alternative explanations for it exist and haven't been ruled out.

  6. #16
    Christopher Nisperos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Bickart View Post
    Hello Christopher,
    People "in the know" seriously doubt that this camera was that of Niépce.
    It would be interesting to know what "People in the know" know exactly (Sorry for the pun!). To be a bit more serious and without any controversy, anybody can have his opinion, what happens if people "in the know" are wrong? They just miss a very very interesting camera... Just consider that this camera has been found 25 years ago at 4 km from the place where ALL THE NIEPCE's STUFF has been stored for more than a century. Consider that this very small camera has an optical specs proportionally similar (aperture, field coverage) to that of the large camera which shot the Austin University first heliography etc. etc.
    All the best.
    Pierre-Jean
    Pierre-Jean le plus cher,

    Dans mon post j'ai donner le lien pour le website donc tu est libre de les contacter et leur dire tes sentiments les plus profonds. Entre-temps, o! get off my back, dude! En ce qui concerne l'appareil, —vraiment— je m'en fiche si c'est authentique ou pas. Qu'est-ce que j'en ai à faire? J'ai une information, je la transmets. C'est tout. Si c'est ton habitude d'acheter des antiquités cheres et au prix fort sur simple déduction et sans une recherche aprofondie, c'est ton affaire. Mais faut pas critiquer tous ceux qui ont d'autres habitudes . . . n'est-ce pas?

    En tous cas, si tu est en France, tu est bienvenu de me contacter pour un verre (ton invitation ..).(OK.. le deuxième verre c'est pour moi!).

    Excuse my (bad) French. Welcome to APUG. You're not in Kansas anymore (mais peut-etre Bruères-Allichamps?) It's pretty friendly here, but if you come in swinging, keep your dukes up . . . this ain't no square dance! (< de l'humour!)

    Amicalement,

    Christopher

    . . . . . . . . .

  7. #17
    Christopher Nisperos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    380
    ...having said that, a sodden thought creeps into my head. What if my contact for information (that the authenticity of the camera was doubtful) was actually bidding on the thing? Hmm. Intriguing.

    Nawww. I've been watching too many spy movies. Still, I'd be curious to know who bought it. Anybody know?

    Best,

    Christopher

    ......

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    In support of Chris' Nisperos' report, from the horse's mouth, as it were: http://www.niepce.com/pages/appareil.html

    For those of you who don't read french, the key points are:

    Auction Team Koln provided none of the documentation promised.

    There's no evidence that Niepce used such a camera or lens.

    Alternative explanations for it exist and haven't been ruled out.
    HERE IS THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION.
    Text put online on www.niepce.com on October 10th, 2007.

    Thoughts on the Auction of a Camera Obscura Attributed to Niépce


    On 13 October 2007, the Auction Team Köln in Cologne plans to sell on auction a camera obscura (item nr 452) entitled “Original Camera of Nicéphore Niépce’s, before 1825“. So as to react to the numerous inquiries we receive concerning the authenticity of this attribution, we have decided to reply with the following statement:

    To begin with, we have to say that we haven’t received any of the “numerous scientific expertises” and none of the “reports by renown experts and institutions”, which are proposed on request in the catalogue and the website of the Auction Team Köln. The only document we received is a summary by M. Bickart (Auction Team Köln, France). It is thus very regrettable that no expert agreed to write an analysis of this camera in his field of competence.

    We are thus not talking about an expertise of renown, confirming the attribution of this camera to Nicéphore Niépce, but an assessment by the Auction Team Köln itself, which draws on a line of argumentation that fails to clearly attribute the camera to the inventor of photography.

    For us, it seems that there are too many incompatibilities with what we know on Niépce’s research, for example as regards the format of the camera, the size of the images, the use of frosted glass, etc. To this, we must add the absence of any mention of the camera and the lense in Niépce’s (otherwise highly comprehensive) letters. In addition, it is extremely difficult – even impossible – to include this lense in the chronology of the evolution of Niépce’s research, whether before or after 1825. All these elements confirm our doubts regarding its authenticity.

    At present, and to the extent of our current knowledge, it is thus impossible for us to certify that this camera could have ever belonged to Niépce.
    Furthermore, we regret that other (highly promising) possibilities to attribute this camera have not been further explored:

    These include Claude Felix Abel Niépce de Saint-Victor, the inventor of photography on glass, who was from St Cyr, a small village next to Niépce’s. Or Fortuné Joseph Petiot-Groffier (1788-1855), a photography pioneer living near Chalon sur Saône. Invoices show that as early as 1840, he ordered his own camera obscura, lenses and other photographic material from Vincent Chevalier, at the time when this optician was trying to perfect Daguerre’s camera, by reducing the size of the images to shorten exposure time.

    Burgundy indeed abounds in photography pioneers, who have followed the steps of its glorious inventor.


    At Gras, the Nicéphore Niépce House, on October 7th, 2007.
    Jean-Louis Marignier and Pierre-Yves Mahé

    All the best,
    Sam H.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    7 km from Paris in France
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4

    La petite chambre de nièpce

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Pierre-Jean le plus cher,

    Dans mon post j'ai donner le lien pour le website donc tu est libre de les contacter et leur dire tes sentiments les plus profonds. Entre-temps, o! get off my back, dude! En ce qui concerne l'appareil, —vraiment— je m'en fiche si c'est authentique ou pas. Qu'est-ce que j'en ai à faire? J'ai une information, je la transmets. C'est tout. Si c'est ton habitude d'acheter des antiquités cheres et au prix fort sur simple déduction et sans une recherche aprofondie, c'est ton affaire. Mais faut pas critiquer tous ceux qui ont d'autres habitudes . . . n'est-ce pas?

    En tous cas, si tu est en France, tu est bienvenu de me contacter pour un verre (ton invitation ..).(OK.. le deuxième verre c'est pour moi!).

    Excuse my (bad) French. Welcome to APUG. You're not in Kansas anymore (mais peut-etre Bruères-Allichamps?) It's pretty friendly here, but if you come in swinging, keep your dukes up . . . this ain't no square dance! (< de l'humour!)

    Amicalement,

    Christopher

    . . . . . . . . .
    Bonsoir Christopher,
    Désolé pour cette réponse tardive, j'avais perdu mon mot de passe et je viens de le retrouver!
    Bien sur, le premier verre sera pour moi...
    Je ne suis pas neutre dans cette vente, j'ai travaillé depuis pas mal de temps sur cette petite chambre à la demande d'Auction Team Köln qui a fait la vente Samedi dernier et j'ai reçu beaucoup d'aide d'excellents amis et spécialistes.
    Je ne suis pas expert mais je connais un peu l'histoire de cette chambre. J'en ai d'ailleurs parlé avec "the people in the know" il ya deux ans et ni "eux" ni moi ne pouvions imaginer ce que nous avons appris en deux ou trois ans.
    I am sorry Christopher, I do not know how to behave on a forum. I just have a 17 pages text and pictures describing this small box and what we think to be its "story". I do not have your email address. Please tell me how to send you this text, just for your information, NO PUBLICITY.
    All the best.

    Pierre-Jean

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    7 km from Paris in France
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4

    The little Niepce Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Pierre-Jean,

    Welcome to APUG. This being a rather strongly worded first post, may we ask if you are in anyway connected to the camera or auction?

    John Powers
    Hi John,
    As I told Christopher, I had lost my password and I found it one hour ago... thus this late answer!
    You are perfectly right, I am connected to Auction Team Köln and with the help of many collectors friends and specialists as well as with the books written by "the people in the know" about Nicephore Niépce, we have found, in more than two years, a lot of interesting facts and details. I presume that this forum is not the right place to insert a 17 pages pdf file but if you are interested in our analysis please let me know where I can post this file written in French, or in English (sorry, "my" French English ) or in Spanish.
    With my best regards.
    Pierre-Jean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin