Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,476   Online: 1093

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Crown Tripod (1903)

I bought a beautiful old Rochester Optical and Camera Co. Universal 8x10 yesterday and started the clean-up job this morning. It came with a Crown folding tripod... well, three quarters of a Crown folding tripod to be more accurate. The legs are there, the top is not. Clearly, this is a separate piece that mounts on the camera base and attaches to the three legs with brass pins of some sort.

Anyone have an idea what this part may look like? I can probably construct something, but I'd love to have an idea of how the original worked. The legs are in great shape, solid and clean.

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Think of a wooden platter about 7 inches in diameter. There will be a bolt going through the center to thread into the camera base. On the side with the bolthead you will see six brackets arranged in pairs. Each bracket will have a pin. You mount the tripod by squeezing the leg halves together. (Think like tongs here.) The legs engage the pins and push against the brackets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    Think of a wooden platter about 7 inches in diameter. There will be a bolt going through the center to thread into the camera base. On the side with the bolthead you will see six brackets arranged in pairs. Each bracket will have a pin. You mount the tripod by squeezing the leg halves together. (Think like tongs here.) The legs engage the pins and push against the brackets.
    Great. Thanks. I think I get it. I couldn't figure out on first try whether the leg "tongs" went inside a set of pins or outside a tongue of wood with a long pin threaded through the entire bit, if you get my meaning. There is a brass spacer down a few inches on each pair, to keep the top pieces from closing and falling off the pins, I suppose. If I can't find one, I'll make it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting... I was just looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crown-Tripod-No....QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Interesting... I was just looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crown-Tripod-No....QQcmdZViewItem
    AHA! That is the very beast in question. Thanks, JBrunner.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin