Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,286   Online: 916

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Voigtlander Bessa 1 Mask

Hello everybody:
    I have inherited a very good, and also old, Voigtlander Bessa 1. This camera can be used to take 9x6 pictures, and 6x4,5 pictures with a mask.
    I do not have this mask, but I would like to get one as I work with an Opemus 6 enlarger.
    Can somebody tell me How I can buy the mask?
    Thank you,
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    You have to find somebody that only has the mask or buy another camera with the mask. I have the camera and the mask but will never sell it separate.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello, Michiel:
    I understand it will be very hard to get the mask; however, I will continue looking for.
    As you have this camera, How are the photos you take with?
    Thanks,
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don' t think you will ever find a mask. Why not make one yourself? You could use cardboard or tape. Use your imagination. The mask for my Bessa is made out of thin aluminum it looks like.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Patrick:
    I think you have had the best posible idea. I am going to do it. However, I do not know if the second film window, the one that is used with 6x4,5 size, will open automatically. With the original mask it does.
    Thanks again for your recommendation. I hope I will do it in the next couple of weeks. I will tell you how well my own mask will work.
    Henry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one with the mask and I agree - one that you make yourself out of cardboard will not cause the second window to open - the mask has a small metal tab that engages the second window. Without that second window, It's going to be quite difficult to advance the film correctly. You could try to make one out of sheet metal, but even this is not simple as the mask is not perfectly flat. I would recommend you look for another Bessa that has the mask. Since all you want is the mask, you could get one with the low end lens pretty cheaply. On the other hand, it might be a better value to get a negative holder and lens for your enlarger that will work with 6x9 negatives.
    Last edited by dslater; 10-14-2007 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One more thing, you might want to check the light seals on your camera. Mine definitely has some leaks. Also, these cameras can have problems with film flatness. I read somewhere that the best thing to do for this is to not advance the film until just before you shoot. What I do is to partially advance the film after shooting so nothing is displayed in the film window so I know an exposure has been made, then advance the rest of the way just before shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henry, I don't know if this would interest you or not, but I have a Bessa I with the mask. The shutter is slow, the lens is a Vaskar f4.5 105mm, one of the metal wings for holding the rangefinder on top of the camera is broken off. I purchased it for $60, but I have a better one....which cost me a lot more. If you want this one, you can have it for $60 plus shipping/insurance. Jon
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin