Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,684   Online: 827

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Junior 620 folding camera (Made in Germany)

Hi from Down Under.

I have been given a number of old, folding cameras, including a couple of Kodak 620 Juniors and Autographics.

I'd really like to give this one a whirl and shoot some re-spooled 120 B&W film. Can anybody give me a starting point for film speed? I'm heading off in a few days and don't have the time to experiment beforehand.

I've got a load of Fomapan and Agfapan 100, and would assume (rightly or wrongly) that I'd be better off rating it at 32 - 50asa and then pulling it, as the shutter speeds are T, B, 75 & 25. The apertures, being f8.8, 11, 16 and right at the end probably 22.

Suggestions? Comments? I'd love to hear everyone's words of wisdom.
    Cheers,
    Nanette

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Hi from Down Under.

I have been given a number of old, folding cameras, including a couple of Kodak 620 Juniors and Autographics.

I'd really like to give this one a whirl and shoot some re-spooled 120 B&W film. Can anybody give me a starting point for film speed? I'm heading off in a few days and don't have the time to experiment beforehand.

I've got a load of Fomapan and Agfapan 100, and would assume (rightly or wrongly) that I'd be better off rating it at 32 - 50asa and then pulling it, as the shutter speeds are T, B, 75 & 25. The apertures, being f8.8, 11, 16 and right at the end probably 22.

Suggestions? Comments? I'd love to hear everyone's words of wisdom.
    Cheers,
    Nanette
    Nanette, the words "don't have the time to experiment beforehand" are a bit ominous, as the gear you are thinking of using really does need to be checked out. There is no guarantee that old folders will not leak light, and shutters are very apt to be slow and may break after short usage (rusty springs). At least, before you use the cameras, open the cameras, fire the shutter on T and have a good look through the lenses for mold, using a torch, also fire the shutters a few times with the back open and see if the marked speeds look reasonable, If you're feeling brave, use the cameras by all means, I would rate the film as normal, the slow shutter speeds will effectively downrate it half a stop or so, and develop as normal or even 10% more, since the lenses will be of only moderate contrast, even assuming they're modern enough to be coated. But a test roll through each camera would be very much preferable!

Regard,

Davidh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I have been able to check for light leaks and that the shutter is consistent, as well as the apertures themselves stopping down. I'm taking my old faithful EOS1, so this little baby is just for me to experiment with. Remarkably, the lens is really clean and I can't see any haze, fungus or awful fingerprints. Quite surprising, considering its age.

Hopefully my flights and assignments will be postponed for a couple of days, and I'll be able to pick up some film and give it a test run beforehand.

Cheers,
    Nanette

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For all my antique cameras I use (No. 2 Brownie Models E & F up to my Ilford Sporti collection) ISO100 film for sunny days (though in Australian summer I'd be tempted to try ISO50 like PanF+), ISO400 for overcast days, and delta3200 pushed to 6400 or so for indoor shots. I estimate my default shutter speeds to be 1/100th of a second and if the camera doesn't say otherwise, f/16 is its Sunny and f/8 (or thereabouts) is its Dull setting. Brownie No.2 Model F has 3 apertures and I've found out through Brownie Camera's website that these are f/22, f/16 and f/11. Hrm I've been shooting mine as 1/100th of second but this page says 1/50th. http://www.brownie-camera.com/tech.shtml Doesn't matter, though, still get something decent on film with my method.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Heather. That gives me a good starting point. Will be a few months though before I can see the results, such is life working overseas for weeks on end.
    By the end of December I'll be really itching to see the results!
    Cheers,
    Nanette

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin