Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,182   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    ole.
    As you know I have this Busch Vademecum. I think one lens is missing as there are only 6 in the set.
    on the other hand there are 4 filters. one look orange/yellow - the other dark orange/brownish..
    and then two more..

see picture. Fantastic condition.

then I have another without markers name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1227.jpg   DSCF1246.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My Busch Vademecum is also missing one cell--the 15cm. The two clear "filters" are to adjust for chemical focus shift with UV sensitive plates. There's an explanation of how to use them in the instruction sheet.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does any one have one where all the lenses are bayonet mount to a common barrel instead of screws? Pics by saturday of my partial set.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do we "lesser educated" have to wait for your website before we get a full explenation on what is a casket set.
    I understand from the pics that it is something like modular lenses you can put together as you wish to create the focallength you want but.........................?????????????
    kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's the Staeble Polyplast, where the rear cell is fixed and the front cell is changed through a bayonet mount - is that the one? I have a partial one of those too...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Søren,

A "casket set" is a lens kit with several different lens cells which all fit in a common barrel. Since seven different focal cells can be combined in 18 different ways (7 singles, 6 doubles with minimal FL difference and 5 doubles with 2 steps difference), carrying one of these was a lot easier than carrying corresponding "fixed focal length" lenses.

A triple convertible is a lens where front and rear cell can be used alone as well as combined, giving three different focal lengths in one barrel or shutter. If you add a third lens cell and put it all in a nice little box, you would have a six-focal length casket set. The "casket" refers to the box.
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    For sure I will open my "treasure chest" in these days...some photos will arrive soon.
    Jim I have three casket sets with bayonet mount:
    Meyer Plasmat in Compur shutter.
    Staeble Polyplast in Compur shutter
    Rodenstock Eikonar in Compur shutter
    and one partially because only the back lenses are bayonet mounted and this is a Suter without shutter.
    Some others are present and one is a Meyer casket sets for stereo.
    Have some patience Ole & CO. I'm a little bit lazy :-)))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Søren,

A "casket set" is a lens kit with several different lens cells which all fit in a common barrel. Since seven different focal cells can be combined in 18 different ways (7 singles, 6 doubles with minimal FL difference and 5 doubles with 2 steps difference), carrying one of these was a lot easier than carrying corresponding "fixed focal length" lenses.

A triple convertible is a lens where front and rear cell can be used alone as well as combined, giving three different focal lengths in one barrel or shutter. If you add a third lens cell and put it all in a nice little box, you would have a six-focal length casket set. The "casket" refers to the box.
    So while this seem to be the ansver to uor dreams what are the tradeoffs?
    Well I see one in your pic in this thread.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That picture isn't fair - I have another one shot with a different rear cell of the same focal length, same front cell, which is perfectly sharp from corner to corner. Unfortunately the box I kept the negatives in leaked light (which you can see at the top of the "comatose" picture), and that negative looks really really bad.

The tradeoffs are:
    Somewhat poorer performance since the cell spacing is fixed for the whole set,
    Limited max aperture for the longer lenses,
    you need a conversion table for the aperture (except the Polyplast)
    Noone has made one for at least 50 years (with the exception of Ron Wisner), so it will be old and most likely uncoated.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make your own G-claron or Symmar casket set from modern or fairly modern lens cells. The real problem is that nobody makes long focal length cells that fit into the same shutter as the shorter lengths. Most of the cheaply available plasmat series jump into a Copal 3 shutter at 240 (plasmats) or 360 (dialytes) so it is hard to assemble a set with a decent range of focal lengths.

But, with a Copal 1 and the cells from a 150 and a 210 Symmar you can get a lot done. 150 and 240/270 mm G-claron cells give you a bit more range (but with larger gaps).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin