Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,356   Online: 926

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,
    I saw a very similar casket set: it was a Darlot and it belong to a friend of mine.
    It had the same casket with red spacers and elements (cells and numbers on them) are the same of yours and I took with it some color pictures in 8x10 some years ago.
    It had a very interesting set of cells, some are only for the back and they are divide to be use as wide angle (grand angulaire) the other as normal or semi-tele. The coverage is not so huge and back cells used single are really soft focus. The apertures are waterhouse stop.
    I will ask to my friend to send me a photo to confirm my memory

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ongarine View Post
    Jim,
    I saw a very similar casket set: it was a Darlot and it belong to a friend of mine.
    It had the same casket with red spacers and elements (cells and numbers on them) are the same of yours and I took with it some color pictures in 8x10 some years ago.
    It had a very interesting set of cells, some are only for the back and they are divide to be use as wide angle (grand angulaire) the other as normal or semi-tele. The coverage is not so huge and back cells used single are really soft focus. The apertures are waterhouse stop.
    I will ask to my friend to send me a photo to confirm my memory
    Thanks! Very helpful and interesting. Yes, the knurling and construction looks like something from Darlot. Do you know what 'Bis' was short for on the #4? Best, Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I have some orphaned Darlot cells somewhere! If I remember correctly, two of them are marked "pays" and one "bis". will look for them tomorrow.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,
    bis means repetition. Here in Italy in a concert when you want more music you ask for a "bis"
    So, outside music, it is a lens of the same focal lenght you find in double copies in a casket set.
    Speaking of double here there is the Meyer Stereo casket set.
    Manufacturer is Hugo Meyer & Co - Gorlitz n.831
    It is composed of: two same barrells with the number aperture sistem, very common in the casket sets of beginning of last Century.
    The cells are four for every barrell:
    1=43 cm.
    2=35 cm.
    3=22 cm.
    4=15 cm.
    It is an Aplanat or rectilinear and there is no instructions in it.
    Someone had inscribed roughly on one barrell R, on the other L, this is a clear statement it was used, probably in England, on a stereo camera.
    Never used with film only see its performances on the ground glass. It is in the wave of the Meyer Universal casket sets.
    Meyer casket set story will continue.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meyer Stereo.jpg  

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "R" and "L" could equally well be German - for "Recht" and "Links"!
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    You are right Ole since my knowledge of German language is very close to zero and your consideration makes more sense then mine since I bought this one in Germany......
    I will try to do my best for the next Meyer
    HUGO MEYER Satz Rapid Group Aristoskop
    Manufacturer is Hugo Meyer & Co - Gorlitz no number, neither incription on the barrell.
    I determinated the origin by measuring the aperture wide open and it is f 5,5 and the design of the lenses, symmetrical aplanatic construction, is the same of Aristsoskop. For this purpose I have consulted an old Meyer catalogue.
    It is composed of barrell with one washer stop, I had have made the others to test the casket set.
    The cells are six, two for every focal length:
    1=50 cm.
    2=40 cm.
    3=30 cm.
    Combined cells with coverage in centimeters
    50 ¦ 50 ¦ | 26 ¦ 13x18
    50 ¦ 40 ¦ | 23 ¦ 13x18
    40 ¦ 40 ¦ | 21 ¦ 13x18
    40 ¦ 30 ¦ | 18 ¦ 10x12
    30 ¦ 30 ¦ | 16 ¦ 10x12

Coverage single cell
    50 ¦ 30x40 ¦
    40 ¦ 24x30 ¦
    30 ¦ 20x25

It is an Aplanat or rectilinear with a medium/small coverage around 60 degrees and it was used mainly for portraits and groups as catalogue said.
    Images on the ground glass wide open are very portraitist-style, plastic and soft in the same time, close down it became more sharp.
    Photo will arrive very soon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here there is the photo of the Aristoskop Rapid Group Satz, it was a long battle, but somenthing was wrong with the computer, maybe the name of the casket
    Brian the adoption is open, get a ticket to Verona-Italia and you will have the opportunity to test every "brass addiction" you want.....naturally with moderation not to induce dependence
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aristo.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ongarine, thank you very much! If I ever have the pleasure to visit your part of the world I would love to pay a visit. I think the old brass used in these lenses must contain some sort of addictive property and once touched the need for more never ends.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's right Brian here I'm and to improve the dependence I introduce you the most simple casket set I saw and used.
    No name or indications, it seems a French manufacturer but it is only an assumption.
    It is composed of the following sigle lenses: 60, 48, 40, 30, 25, 20 centimeters.
    The focal length is roughly script on the edge of the lens.
    They get in position on the barrell with two very large washer stops.
    The combinations are these:
    60 ¦ 48 ¦ | 26.5 ¦
    60 ¦ 40 ¦ | 24 ¦
    48 ¦ 40 ¦ | 22 ¦
    48 ¦ 30 ¦ | 18.5 ¦
    40 ¦ 30 ¦ | 17 ¦
    40 ¦ 25 ¦ | 15 ¦
    30 ¦ 25 ¦ | 13.5¦
    30 ¦ 20 ¦ | 12 ¦
    25 ¦ 20 ¦ | 11 ¦
    There are waterhouse stops as follows: f25 f20 f15 f10 f5 f2 and the place for the waterhouse is very near to the front lens.
    Results wide open, with a combination, are very similar to an Holga lens, very small focus in the centre of the image and a complete out of focus for the rest 35% focus and a big amount of blur. This for 4x5 format and medium combinations of lenses.
    With small apertures the focus increase until 55-60% and with long combinations it cover barely.
    Single lenses are usable but with more or less the same results of the combinations.
    I put it in front of a Copal 3 with adapter ring in a 8x10 camera and it is weird!
    I will post some 4x5 photos as soon as I print them, for 8x10 you have to wait until Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trousse lentilles.jpg  

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's nothing more "basic" than that, that's for sure!

Are the individual lenses meniscii, or biconvex? It's a bit hard to tell from the picture...

If they are meniscii, the usable angle of view with two lenses should be around 40 degrees at f:32, according to my own Voigtländer W.Z. But then again that one was made as a soft-focus enlarger lens; I have no experience with using meniscii (or Periskops) for photography.
    Norway

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin