Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,996   Online: 1129

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At last, a preliminary version of the site is up.

It took a while to get the site moved to my "regular" web host, since I didn't have the email address I used for registering the domain. Then my computer crashed, and I lost what I had. Then I got a new computer, but...

And work. It always comes up at the wrong time! But now I've got my revenge - I've used an hour of work time to put together a preliminary site.

The next step is to do it properly, using something better for the job than MS Word.
    And include pages for technical information, pictures shot with casket sets, formulas, old advertisements, get some detail pictures of some of them, get pictures of a Protar Satz, more information, a mail link/guestbook kind of thing, and...

http://www.casket-set.com
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looked at the site, Ole. Seems like a very good start!

Now for a question: does the french word "trousse" imply that a lens is convertible?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since "trousse" means "case" or "casket", I would think there's a very high probability of that.
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    C'est bien! Good to know.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have received a few goodies today from England. It contained a casket set in a small leather purse along with a dallmeyer + an unmarked brass lens.

Can you help me identify these small gems ?

I all 3 types of lenses

Claus

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Let's start with the "easy" one: The "unknown" is most likely a Rapid Rectilinear, and is probably British or French from the aperture steps. "22" and "44" is unlikely to be German, they would either use "22" and "45" or "23" and "45". Or Stolze. British manufacturers were more likely to use the infamous "AU" (Arbitrary Units", which is why I include France as a possible origin. Focal length is then likely to be around 9½" or 240mm.

The Dallmeyer? No idea really, especially not when I'm at work in the North Sea without a lens library. F:10 is similar to what many landscape lenses have, but this doesn't look like a landscape lens. Could it be a Periskop? Or an "unnamed Rectilinear"? I think the "UR" is most likely.

Then the casket set:

I assume that the "6", "14", and two times "20" comes from markings on the cells?

If so, I think that would have to be the focal length in inches: Most metric sets only go down to 150mm (or 15cm), since anything shorter than that won't be useable in combination with another cell. Since 150mm is about 6", it makes sense that it's a 6" cell.

a 14" front and a 6" rear would give about 4.2" combined focal length, quite within the useable range for an "uncorrected" wide angle Rectilinear. 14" rear and 20" front ends up at 8.2", again quite a useful focal length. And of course 2x20" is 10"; quite within the capabilities of most small cameras.

That 17mm thingy - does that consist of two short empty tubes? If so that's a spacer set, to be used in the "normal" configuration, and removed when extra wide coverage is needed. One goes on front of the barrel, the other one on the rear.

Given the markings in inches, a British maker is again most likely.
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    claus: the casket set has a name as far as I know (?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole & Emil

Yes it has a name - forgot to mention

Primus No. 1

// Ole - the 17mm thingy does contain of two tubes. most likely the inner is approx 7mm and the outer is 10mm

does this make sense

claus

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Primus"... That looks like a Perken son & Rayment name. Could someone with the Vade Mecum look that up?
    Norway

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According the VM, Optimus is used as a name on many of the Perken son & Rayment lenses.
    Primus does not come up doing a search on the VM.

jan

Correction, Primus was a trade name for Beck and the name Beck was not on the lenses sold as Primus.
    A double Aplanat casket set is listed so it is possibly a Beck you have acuired.
    Last edited by JLP; 09-24-2008 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More info.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin