Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,519   Online: 843

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Does anyone have info on this lens?

I bought a brass lens at an antique shop today and was wondering if you good folks could tell me anything about it. It's a brass lens about 4-5 inches long, and about 1.5" in diameter (not including the built-in flange). It has what seems to be a rack and pinion focusing dealy on top and is inscribed, "A.T. Thompson & Co., Importers, Boston." There is no diaphragm and no slot for waterhouse stops as far as I can see, so this is leading me to think that it is some sort of projection lens. When holding it at an angle to a light I can count 4 reflections. I'll post photos as soon as I can borrow my housemate's digicam.

- Justin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    I bought a brass lens at an antique shop today and was wondering if you good folks could tell me anything about it. It's a brass lens about 4-5 inches long, and about 1.5" in diameter (not including the built-in flange). It has what seems to be a rack and pinion focusing dealy on top and is inscribed, "A.T. Thompson & Co., Importers, Boston." There is no diaphragm and no slot for waterhouse stops as far as I can see, so this is leading me to think that it is some sort of projection lens. When holding it at an angle to a light I can count 4 reflections. I'll post photos as soon as I can borrow my housemate's digicam.

- Justin
    A. T. Thompson was the US importer for Darlot who made many many early projection lantern lenses. It is very likely about 6" focus and it's probably a Petzval type. They're a lot of fun to do portraits with on a 4X5.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Jim! I'll have to rig up a matboard special lensboard for it on my Graphic View and see what she can do. Most of the dust is on the outside but there is some internally. Would it be safe to unscrew it or should I just leave her be?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    By all means, take it apart. These are painfully simple. The front and rear group will come out of the barrel readily. There's usually a threaded retainer that you undo and the front cemented doublet will come right out. Same at the rear but draw a picture so you can get the 2 individual lenses put back exactly as they came out. Put the three glass pieces in some hot soapy dishwater and leave them alone for an hour or 2. Then wash with a soft rag in the soapy water, rinse, dry with cotton dish towel and re-assemble. It'll just sparkle.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, is it safe to put cemented elements in water? (I suppose it is as you said it, but just wanted to be sure.)

I am having great fun with the little lens you sent me btw!

/matti

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Jim, is it safe to put cemented elements in water? (I suppose it is as you said it, but just wanted to be sure.)

I am having great fun with the little lens you sent me btw!

/matti
    Yes, I do it all the time. Detergent and time seem to loosen gook that just gets smeared otherwise. Glad you're having some fun with that. Got anything from it in your gallery yet? Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just this one: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...63&ppuser=6994
    It is cropped and actually really underexposed, probably due to flare in the spotmeter from a Christmas tree lightning in the background. But I really like the smooth glow on the cheeks. I have some new negatives that are waiting to be printed though. Taken out in the woods. It is so dark this time of the year so I can get by with using the hand as a shutter for ASA 100-film at mid day. Made me think about putting this in a real shutter some way...

/matti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As promised here are some images of my new friend! Tomorrow I'll pick up some more detergent and get 'er all nice and shiny. My apologies for the flash glare, best I could do on short notice.

- Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00560.JPG   DSC00561.JPG   DSC00562.JPG  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin