Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,745   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Old fresh frozen film

Do you have a stock of old but fresh film stashed away in the back of your kitchen freezer?

Despite my wife's complaints, I have a nice supply of outdated film taking up a section of the ice box.

All rolls were purchased brand new and immediately chilled. Many are over 20 years old. Yes, they yield good results when thawed and exposed.

Here's what I have:
    Kodak CL127 and CL620, dated 4/1988
    Kodak GB126-24, dated 8/1998
    Efke R21 127, dated 1/1989
    Belgian (no name) B&W 620, no date

What's the oldest film you might have?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some Iford fp4 1988, froze since new, I discovered recently in the chest freezer. Unfortuanately, they are trash.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

good old ferrania pan

It likely started out as 25 or 50 asa , but it is down to 12asa for me now. I still have 6 rolls left in my freezer. It dates to the mid 60's. The metal reels it is mounted on is the most charming thing. Getting the film onto the reel after it being wound up for 40 plus years is not so charming though. And the development time is long, something like 18 minutes in 1+1 d76 to get a good density.

It was at on time imported and sold as 3M in North America. I was given 14 rolls about 3 years ago. It had allegedly been frozen for decades.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    At the moment, my oldest film is probably Super-XX 4x5" vintage 1981, courtesy of a member of this forum. I tested a couple of sheets, and it's a bit foggy, but it's still pretty nice film with beautiful tonal separation.

I've posted about a few adventures I've had with really old film here--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...chaeology.html

As for paper, I have a box of 10x10" Haloid Industro grade 2 dated 1952, which is more like grade 1 at this point.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 01-29-2008 at 11:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Pan F and Plus X from the mid 70's, 35mm in 100 foot rolls, just defrosted, no fog but loss of speed, about a stop. I shoot the Pan F at 12 the Plus X at 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    I have Pan F and Plus X from the mid 70's, 35mm in 100 foot rolls, just defrosted, no fog but loss of speed, about a stop. I shoot the Pan F at 12 the Plus X at 50.
    I also have anschcrome 100 and 200 from the late 60s or early 70s, I shot some of the 100 and developed in a GAF kit I found on E bay, some shift towards blue, but not bad, I found 2 more GAF kits and will shoot the 200 this spring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some 3x4 glass plates - HP3 and Special Rapid Panchromatic P300 from the 1950s and some Kodak Tri X Film Packs 2x3 and 3x4 from the 60s. These will definitely need some anti fog agent when they are processed.

Gord

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Old unexposed glass plates including Imperial plates. Old but usable.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I've had paper frozen for 30+ years, but not film - only refrigerated. The paper kept well (Kodak Panalure & Ektalure - now Forte). Film on the other hand, I believe, is more sensitive to cosmic radiation (passes through everything, including the earth, and us).

Early particle physics experiments were done with Ilford monochrome film for detecting telltale tracks of cosmic radiation, perhaps "neutrinos".
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    I've had paper frozen for 30+ years, but not film - only refrigerated. The paper kept well (Kodak Panalure & Ektalure - now Forte). Film on the other hand, I believe, is more sensitive to cosmic radiation (passes through everything, including the earth, and us).

Early particle physics experiments were done with Ilford monochrome film for detecting telltale tracks of cosmic radiation, perhaps "neutrinos".
    High speed film such as Tri X seems to fair the worse, my Pan F and Plux X from the 70s has help up much better, even the Anscochrome 100 has held up. But I tired Trix X 4X5 that expired in 1949, total toast, as were several rolls of GAF 500 from the early 70's. Paper has a much lower speed than film and does hold up much better than film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin