Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,003   Online: 1191

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've stlll got my FM2n, FE2 and FA along with my F5 & F6. I guess it's a small collection. I still shoot all of them at different times.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I sold my Leica M2 to buy a black Nikon F with a plain prism. Basically because I couldn't afford the Leica lenses and found I love the big view I get with the slr. I use the older lenses too, 24mm, 50, 135, love them. Don't store your nice Nikon get out there and use it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My home and studio burnt down in 1979 and I lost all of my gear (Canon F1's). A few days later I was looking in a camera store for a new (used) outfit and found a Nikon F for $75 with a broken FTn and a 50mm lens. The finder just needed a wire re-soldered. Otherwise it was mint. I still use it a lot. Never did get another Canon.
    Jim...again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I can see the "F" sub-category being started at Apug now....

Time to go count my pennies..
    That would not be a bad idea, I been hanging around the Nikon F and F2 pages at Photography in Malayisa too much today looking at all the nice gear and detailed information.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't collect them as such, the 3 F's and a Nikkormat FTn are the only 35mm cameras I own and use, except for a 6x9 Linhof.
    Bought the first one used, has the Photomic external meter and a 5.8cm 1.4 lens, and acquired the rest of them over the last few decades.

I've noticed they are attention getters for the last 5 years or so, Last year someone remarked "Film, how quaint" they were carrying some massive digital thing that made a F FTn with a 135 on it look tiny.

I quipped back, "Film is forever, unlike computer data."

He was quite stunned looking after that for a couple of seconds.

I still use film and will as long as I can, having spent almost 40 years in the IT business, it's nice not to have to worry about backing up your holiday/vacation data.

Anyway, they are a nice match to the Durst D659 my son salvaged from a trip to the dumpster a couple of years ago. Man what a nice machine that is. It only had one owner, 40ish years old, lightly used..... A CLA and realign one lens to the autofocus cam and good as new.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not an antique one but an F3hp with a 50mm Micro Nikkor I bought new for BioMed photography. I love the high eyepoint as I wear glasses. Nikon is tops in my book.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a F3HP for Christmas with an AIS 50/1.8 lens, it is a really sweet machine.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first camera was a Nikon F, bought by my father in 1967 in Ethiopia.
    My father had the whole set: a large leather case, four lenses, macro bellows
    and all. A slight accident that it had in China made me put it aside and then I switched to the Hasselblad I use now.
    Fine machine with lots of sentimental value for me.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Don't collect them as such, the 3 F's and a Nikkormat FTn are the only 35mm cameras I own and use, except for a 6x9 Linhof.
    Bought the first one used, has the Photomic external meter and a 5.8cm 1.4 lens, and acquired the rest of them over the last few decades.

I've noticed they are attention getters for the last 5 years or so, Last year someone remarked "Film, how quaint" they were carrying some massive digital thing that made a F FTn with a 135 on it look tiny.

I quipped back, "Film is forever, unlike computer data."

He was quite stunned looking after that for a couple of seconds.

I still use film and will as long as I can, having spent almost 40 years in the IT business, it's nice not to have to worry about backing up your holiday/vacation data.

Anyway, they are a nice match to the Durst D659 my son salvaged from a trip to the dumpster a couple of years ago. Man what a nice machine that is. It only had one owner, 40ish years old, lightly used..... A CLA and realign one lens to the autofocus cam and good as new.

Bob

Interesting point about the F being "an attention getter". I was out with the family today at a small tourist place called "Old Town" in Kissimmee, Florida. I took a bag with two cameras:

1) an F with FTN meter head and 50mm 1.4 Nikkor AIS, and

2) a digital D200 with a 28-105 AF-D.

As I was shooting with my "tiny" F (compared to the D200 set up), many people stared, smiled and made comments about the F. After I ran out of film I put my F away and started using my much larger, bulkier, and way more noticeable D200. It was as if I was invisible! Not a stare, not a comment, not a nostalgic smile from anyone! Yes, I agree, the F is an attention getter despite its small size compared to bigger, bulkier SLR's and DSLR's.

p.s. I was only shooting pics of my daughters and some antique cars that were on display, not "street shooting" candids of anyone. The F turned just about as many heads as the antique cars did!

Shooter
    35mm

F is Forever

I've had two motorized so-called "Apollo" FTN bodies since the early 1980s that are still totally useful today; one of them is mated to an F36 motor that was one of the first ones built in 1959! They were my main cameras until about ten years ago, when I started acquiring F2's. Old Nikons were made to be used, I try to exercise each of mine a few times every year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin