Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,653   Posts: 1,668,774   Online: 1135

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I took this shot yesterday with my F (FTN metering prism), Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS. Funny thing about this is that as I was scanning this image of a Ford Edsel, my Epson 4870 flatbed scanner died. This scanner has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it a few years ago. I wonder if it was the curse of the Edsel that finally did it in?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.
    Ronin

"Place your clothes and [cameras] where you can find them in the dark.”
    with apologies to Robert Heinlein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RoNinHeart View Post
    I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.

I don't think my Epson is even 5 years old yet! In dog and computer years that's almost half a century though!

Shooter
    35mm
    Just got a new to me F with a 35mm and 50mm period lenses....love this thing. It feels like an extension of my hand.

Peace
    DCB <><

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a F Photomic - the original one with the external meter. I bought it because it came with both a 24mm/2.8 Nikon lens of the period and cost me $100 AUS....

THen I added a lens that has always fascinated me - a early version of the 45mm GN lens (it's the only Nikon lens that focusses the "correct" way)...

Then I boulght a 80-200 zoom for $30, a Micro Nikor 50mm which has very heavy focussing (I need to strip the helicoid and replace the lube- but for $5 who cares??). Oh, and a period 50mm f 2 for $20...

I've shot a bit with it - mostly with a borrowed Nikon 50/1.2, and the results are excellent....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The wonderful thing about the F is its simplicity and ruggedness.

After I bought my first Nikon, an F3/T, I became interested in their earlier cameras. Naturally, my mind was filled with visions of the FTN, which was so ubiquitous in news photos from the 1960's. After reading a book about the F and F2, I concluded that the F2 was much better; Nikon having fixed the flaws of their introductory F. After my F2's and F3/T's, I then became interested in the F4 (which I think is Nikon's best camera ever). Still, I couldn't help thinking about the F and that website in Switzerland (http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html) only increased my interest.

So, last year I finally bought a standard-prism F. It is absolutely wonderful. I love the feel, the sound, the simplicity. I could use this as my only camera.

Like a Ferrari, and much less expensive, everyone should own a Nikon F at least once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Anyone here collect and use old Nikon F's? I know that there are many people out there who collect special versions of F bodies produced in the 1960's, but does anyone actually use them on a regular basis?

I have a couple of old F's, but I fell into the "collector's trap" with one of them. I purchased it to use it on a regular basis (Nikon F with standard prism) and it was advertised as being in EX condition. Turns out that it was in near mint condition. It looked so nice that I didn't want to ruin it by using it regularly. I know, it's an F and it was built for abuse, but it looks too pretty to use!

I have actually been thinking about getting a rougher looking F so I won't have any problems taking it everywhere and using it without worrying about messing up its appearance. The other F I have has the Ftn Photomic metering head. The meter still works (I'm using Wein batteries), but I was hoping to get a "lighter" F with the standard prism. I would get another prism, but apparantly the prisms are now selling for more than the F body itself!

Also, anyone using older Nikkor lenses with their old F's?
    Nothing is built for abuse.

My main 'working' 35 system was built around the F, I've been using it since about 1995. Along the way I've acquired two Nikkormats, an FT and an FTN- $25 in both bodies - and an F2A with a dinged finder but the body looks like it's spent most of the time in a drawer since 1973, I doubt it's had 50 rolls through it - $100 shipped. Lenses, 20/3.5 28/3.5, 35/2, 50/2 x2, 55/3.5, 105/2.5 all pre AI; the 35/2 went through two pro's before I got it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Anyone here collect and use old Nikon F's? I know that there are many people out there who collect special versions of F bodies produced in the 1960's, but does anyone actually use them on a regular basis?

I have a couple of old F's, but I fell into the "collector's trap" with one of them. I purchased it to use it on a regular basis (Nikon F with standard prism) and it was advertised as being in EX condition. Turns out that it was in near mint condition. It looked so nice that I didn't want to ruin it by using it regularly. I know, it's an F and it was built for abuse, but it looks too pretty to use!

I have actually been thinking about getting a rougher looking F so I won't have any problems taking it everywhere and using it without worrying about messing up its appearance. The other F I have has the Ftn Photomic metering head. The meter still works (I'm using Wein batteries), but I was hoping to get a "lighter" F with the standard prism. I would get another prism, but apparantly the prisms are now selling for more than the F body itself!

Also, anyone using older Nikkor lenses with their old F's?
    Nothing is built for abuse.

My main 'working' 35 system was built around the F, I've been using it since about 1995. Along the way I've acquired two Nikkormats, an FT and an FTN- $25 in both bodies - and an F2A with a dinged but accurate finder but the body looks like it's spent most of the time in a drawer since 1973, I doubt it's had 50 rolls through it - $100 shipped. Lenses, 20/3.5 28/3.5, 35/2, 50/2 x2, 55/3.5, 105/2.5 all pre AI; the 35/2 went through two pro's before I got it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just realized that this thread was started in the "Antiques and Colleting" thread.

In my experience, telling a Nikon F owner that his/her camera is an "Antique" is very, very brave
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought my first F while still in high school in 1968 from a returning Vietnam vet, and added two more in college and during my newspaper career. Later added a Nikkormat FTN and a Nikon FM to go with a passel of lenses, because I couldn't afford the newer Nikons on a journalist's salary.
    Can't say I use them much anymore, but they all still work despite living a rough life. They occasionally get use for time exposures of fireworks, lightning and the night sky -- including auroras.
    I can still "see" in ASA 400 and can change film without setting the camera back down.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin