Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,785   Online: 730

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    I took this shot yesterday with my F (FTN metering prism), Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS. Funny thing about this is that as I was scanning this image of a Ford Edsel, my Epson 4870 flatbed scanner died. This scanner has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it a few years ago. I wonder if it was the curse of the Edsel that finally did it in?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.
    Ronin

"Place your clothes and [cameras] where you can find them in the dark.”
    with apologies to Robert Heinlein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RoNinHeart View Post
    I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.

I don't think my Epson is even 5 years old yet! In dog and computer years that's almost half a century though!

Shooter
    35mm
    Just got a new to me F with a 35mm and 50mm period lenses....love this thing. It feels like an extension of my hand.

Peace
    DCB <><

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a F Photomic - the original one with the external meter. I bought it because it came with both a 24mm/2.8 Nikon lens of the period and cost me $100 AUS....

THen I added a lens that has always fascinated me - a early version of the 45mm GN lens (it's the only Nikon lens that focusses the "correct" way)...

Then I boulght a 80-200 zoom for $30, a Micro Nikor 50mm which has very heavy focussing (I need to strip the helicoid and replace the lube- but for $5 who cares??). Oh, and a period 50mm f 2 for $20...

I've shot a bit with it - mostly with a borrowed Nikon 50/1.2, and the results are excellent....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The wonderful thing about the F is its simplicity and ruggedness.

After I bought my first Nikon, an F3/T, I became interested in their earlier cameras. Naturally, my mind was filled with visions of the FTN, which was so ubiquitous in news photos from the 1960's. After reading a book about the F and F2, I concluded that the F2 was much better; Nikon having fixed the flaws of their introductory F. After my F2's and F3/T's, I then became interested in the F4 (which I think is Nikon's best camera ever). Still, I couldn't help thinking about the F and that website in Switzerland (http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html) only increased my interest.

So, last year I finally bought a standard-prism F. It is absolutely wonderful. I love the feel, the sound, the simplicity. I could use this as my only camera.

Like a Ferrari, and much less expensive, everyone should own a Nikon F at least once.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin