Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,442   Posts: 1,597,044   Online: 958

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Anyone here collect & use Nikon F's?

Anyone here collect and use old Nikon F's? I know that there are many people out there who collect special versions of F bodies produced in the 1960's, but does anyone actually use them on a regular basis?

I have a couple of old F's, but I fell into the "collector's trap" with one of them. I purchased it to use it on a regular basis (Nikon F with standard prism) and it was advertised as being in EX condition. Turns out that it was in near mint condition. It looked so nice that I didn't want to ruin it by using it regularly. I know, it's an F and it was built for abuse, but it looks too pretty to use!

I have actually been thinking about getting a rougher looking F so I won't have any problems taking it everywhere and using it without worrying about messing up its appearance. The other F I have has the Ftn Photomic metering head. The meter still works (I'm using Wein batteries), but I was hoping to get a "lighter" F with the standard prism. I would get another prism, but apparantly the prisms are now selling for more than the F body itself!

Also, anyone using older Nikkor lenses with their old F's?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I realize it's not quite in the same league, but I shoot regularly with my Nikkormat FTn with 35mm Nikkor lens. Sits on the passenger seat of my car, loaded with Double-X. Probably one roll every two weeks or so. Expect to be doing the same twenty years from now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a self confessed F user, I own a F Photomic Tn and an earlier "641" with eyelevel prism. They don't sit on the shelf and both get used. My Pre Ai Nikkor kit includes 24f2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2, 50/1.4, 50/2, 105/2.5.

I also have an F2 and Nikkormat FTn which round off my pre-AI bodies.

I would love to get a Black F with Photomic FTN head and a 58 f1.4 for my "641" F but that is falling into collecting mode, but since I use non T grain film I am getting that period authentic look with my shots.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    I realize it's not quite in the same league, but I shoot regularly with my Nikkormat FTn with 35mm Nikkor lens. Sits on the passenger seat of my car, loaded with Double-X. Probably one roll every two weeks or so. Expect to be doing the same twenty years from now...
    I know it's a bit off-topic ... but where do you get your Double-X? I haven't had any luck finding it.

The old Nikons are a lot of fun. I've gotten rid of all of mine (I just have too many cameras), but there is definitely a je ne sais quoi about the 1960s Nikons. They are a real pleasure to use.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    For F lovers and collectors everywhere, I found this website to be very interesting and helpful;

http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html

I believe he is the ultimate Nikon F collector!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I know it's a bit off-topic ... but where do you get your Double-X? I haven't had any luck finding it.
    Got a couple of 400ft rolls of 5222 back about three years ago. Haven't looked lately, but probably much harder to find.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As a "Nikonian", I bought a F on eBay a couple of years ago when I thought I'd build a collection of "serious" Nikon gear.

I've never used it - what a "boat of a camera" - but no reason to get rid of it.

Someday my heirs will probably toss it in the garbage - but that's no reason to get rid of it.

(Oh, I even got a couple of those "equivalent" batteries to use for the light meter.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I would shelve a mint F example as well. I was at one time looking at perhaps getting an F2 and while searching around I noticed the prices on the "F's" over at KEH; I was surprised. Maybe Ebay is cheaper on them (haven't looked) but why take chances and not be able to return a 40 year old camera. I wound up with a Nikkormat FT3 and love it. What a camera. Whatever you get a cla runs about a $130 on any of the bodies making them even more expensive.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The second camera I ever got was an old beat up Nikon F Photomic Tn that was handed to me in a paper bag. The previous owner had broken something in the winding mechanism and he proceeded to try to repair it himself. He had gotten it to a point where he could not find any more screws to remove and it still wasn't coming apart so he put it away for a year or two when I was casually speaking with him about old Nikon camera gear. I put it back together as best as I could and I brought it to the Nikon repair facility back when they had an office in San Francisco and they did an outstanding job of getting it repaired. Not only did they fix the winding mechanism but they replaced the worn out strap lugs, pushed out a bad dent in the upper body next to the rewind lever, and aligned the lens mount to the film plane (hey, that's what the guy told me). All for $100 back in 1983. Not bad considering that I got it for free to begin with! I sold that camera in a moment of weakness a few years later. The prism on that camera was nearly flawless and it was a welcome change to my much smaller and lighter FE2 that I had bought just months before. It was built like a tank, it was quirky, it was wonderfully mechanical in operation and it was utterly reliable. At times it made me wish I hadn't bought my FE2 and at times (especially when my right arm was tired from hefting it) it made me wish I was never cursed with it.

I still have a DW-1 waist-level finder from an F2 that my cousin sold to me to use with this camera. Just remove the name plate and it snaps right into the top of the old F.
    Last edited by Squidward; 02-11-2008 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

F's

Been using my two since I got them new while working as a still photographer in the Army in '69. 20 years of daily shooting, now semi retired use several times a week. One took a pretty bad fall down a mountain side but although it was jammed when I finally got it back, I forced it(it was already broken I couldn't make it any worse) and have been using it without the exposure counter ever since. Only work ever done on them was to send the FTn head to be re-calibrated for modern batteries. Moters, a dozen or so Nikkors, several heads, screens, Luna-Pro, etc. Picked up an F3 along the way too. They were all once NIB but I didn't buy them to be closet queens. I guess my estate will be selling some brassy old Nikons.

What more can one ask of a machine?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin