Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,401   Online: 1093

Shooter
    35mm

Have 3 old fold cameras, can't open them

Hello everyone, I'm the widow of a photographer, and I've been selling his darkroom and camera equipment here on APUG since about January. I have three old fold cameras, and my local APUG angels have given me descriptions of them and their conditions, but I canNOT get them open to photograph them for classified ads. I'm afraid to force anything because they're pretty old.

The #3-A Autographic Kodak Jr., I can't even get the case open. It's got a latch with a button but the button appears to be solid brass of one piece with the faceplate; there's a teeny keyhole with a little brass nub showing, but the nub won't budge noway, nohow. The others aren't in a separate carrying case.

If anyone would like to help me out with a walk-through I would be most grateful! I have taken detailed, up-close photos I can email to you so you can see details better, but I see that I can't upload the images directly here.

Any advice will be highly appreciated! My email address is threeoutside@gmail.com.

Terry Hickman
    Omaha, NE USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many old Kodak folders have a button hidden under the leather covering that has to be pressed to open the front of the camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Also, in addition to what Moose said,others opened by moving the metal at the top of the door outwards.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may help: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/k...graphic_3a.htm

Try a google search for manuals for the other cameras you may have problems with (the above Butkus.Org site has a lot of old camera manuals).

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, folks. I'll try that URL. I think I saw it yesterday - the manual wasn't much use as to opening the case becasue it's just a drawing - and it's an image of the 1920's manual, which is kind of cool, but they didn't realize they'd have this know-nothing tyro who needs ridiculously detailed instructions, trying to open their camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin