Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,718   Online: 890

Thread: Nettar 516?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nettar 516?

I just bought a 6x6 Nettar, without paying much mind to the model number, off a well-known auction site; when it arrived, it turned out to be a 516/16. Thinking nothing of it, I did my usual poking around online to determine the history of the model, and found to my surprise that there essentially *isn't* any history of the model. Most ZI model lists go straight from the prewar 515 to the postwar 517.

<http://www.netcontax.com> has a few words describing the 516 as a "scarce" European-only model; the focus scale on mine is in metres, which would be consistent with that. It looks essentially identical to a 515 as far as I can tell, with no top housing, a two-part pop-up viewfinder, and a 75/4.5 Novar with no serial number.

I find, too, that the Zeiss Historica [sic] Journal once ran an article called "Tracking The Nettar 516", so I assume there's some sort of story behind this model. Does anyone know what that story is? And just what *is* the difference from the 515 that justifies bothering to put a second model number on it?

Thanks

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 06-20-2008 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: faulty memory

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, I've got one as well, a nearly mint condition 516/2, and I also have puzzling over this camera. As you know, it is an oddity in the Nettar line-up, being the first Nettar with double-exposure prevention and the last one with a pop-up viewfinder. Mine was apparently produced in about 1942 (the date of the lens) using a shutter from 10 years earlier, possibly raiding old stock because of wartime shortages.

This week I happened to glance at the more up-market Zeiss Ikonta and - lo and behold - it turns out that the 516/2 Nettar is indistinguishable from the (West German) Ikonta 521/2 first released in 1947. It is also almost indistinguishable from the (East German) Ercona I, which appears to have been the same as the 521/2. The only difference I can make out is that the Ercona and at some (not all) 521s seem to have a button next to the viewfinder which presumably flicks it up.

Beyond that, it is all speculation. I wonder if the 516 was intended as the next generation of Nettars but was redeployed as an Ikonta when Zeiss was casting around for a new look Ikonta in 1946. I can't think of another sensible reason why an original Nettar design would reappear a few years later with the Ikonta badge. There are so few 516s around that I wonder if they were a prototype that never went into full production.

The first post-war Nettar, the Nettar II, didn't go into production until 1949 (according to Camerapedia), two years after the Ikonta 521, and had a redesigned top-plate with the built-in viewfinder but the 517 did not have the double-exposure lock so it was actually a step back from the 516. The 518 "signal Nettar" also came out in '49, and is usually (and we know, wrongly) described as the first Nettar with double-exposure prevention.

I do wonder if the 516 is not mentioned in the lists is that it may never have been produced commercially, perhaps there were a handful of prototypes made before more pressing wartime jobs claimed Zeiss's attention.

IT is all speculation, as I said, but clearly we are in possession of genuinely rare versions of an otherwise common camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks---I had given up on ever getting a response!

I continue to think it would be interesting to see the Zeiss Historica article, but I have no idea where to get hold of back issues of the journal. Any Zeiss Historica Society folks around?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I'd like to know what that says, too (is it in English or German?).
    I didn't notice your inquiry was old but, in any case, I wanted to post my observations somewhere in case they were useful to others struggling to understand this strange beast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulC View Post

I do wonder if the 516 is not mentioned in the lists is that it may never have been produced commercially, perhaps there were a handful of prototypes made before more pressing wartime jobs claimed Zeiss's attention.

Both the 516 (6x4.5) and 516/2 (6x9) were production models between 1937 and 1941.

The 516 came with a 75mm Novar 4.5 and the 516/2 with one 110m of the same kind, both on a KLIO shutter.

Production was scarce due to WWII effort, maybe because of that, not many are seen.

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok, now I have got some new info. The 516 line - all three models - was marketed in one catalogue for the Finland market more or less as a footnote to the 515. It is in the Historica article, which I now have a copy of.

I bought mine from a vendor in Finland. I wonder if they were sold anywhere else.

If I get your email address I will forward the Historica pages to you.
    Last edited by PaulC; 05-21-2009 at 08:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: new info

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi everyone,
    I've recently bought a Nettar 516/2 as well, on an internet auction, from a woman who got it from her granddad.
    At first I thought it was a whole other type of zeiss ikon, since I couldn't find anything on my actual camera. The only thing on the internet I found was that it's supposed to be from 1938, which I guess is just a mix up with the 515. I was quite extatic finding this topic, because it's the first actual correct information, I guess.
    I was wondering if you could send me the Historica pages as well, if you still have them, because I'm curious to find out more about it.
    Kind regards,
    Kat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought I still had it, but I can't find a copy. Paul?

One very interesting thing about these cameras is that they have the "signal" mechanism for double exposure prevention, which is widely reported to have appeared only after the war with the "Signal-Nettar" 518. To me it sort of looks like the 516 was supposed to be the natural successor to the 515, with perhaps some minor changes but mainly introducing the double-exposure lock, and then the war intervened before it had been produced in any numbers.

Mine has been a really stellar user camera over the last couple of years. It and a prewar 6x9 Wirgin are the two folders that I find myself using constantly.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

Just bought a Nettar 516/2.
    It's nice and works perfectly, but I am not sure it's a "true" Zeiss Ikon with its Kodak pieces.
    What do you think about its front face ?
    I haven't seen a 6X9 Kodak camera with this face but I don't know a website with many old Kodak cameras...

Regards,

André
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZI-516_2-5.jpg   ZI-516_2-6.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect it has been repaired with parts cannibalised from a Kodak.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin