Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,666   Online: 1174

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's something I see regularly, some antique dealer that charges 10x the real value. Especially with boxcamera's and old folders because they think it's old and antique although millions have been made.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So true. I had a friend who worked for an antiques dealer and he told the dealer I was a photographer. Both of them insisted on setting up a special viewing for me of some recently arrived photographica. When I got there, I saw a table of grotty old folders, clapped-out box cameras, and 8mm movie odds and ends. Nothing in good condition and I've seem way better stuff offered for free on this forum. I politely looked over the cameras and the dealer reeled off the most incredible prices. For a second, I thought it was a practical joke, but no-- the dealer was serious.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking I might go back next weekend and pop my head in to see if he still has them, and have a chat about the differences and about the prices he's asking. If he'd come down a bit (well, QUITE a bit) I'd be willing to relieve him of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Take a magnet with you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Most antique dealers rely on their pricing books which are usually far from accurate. They have no idea of the difference between dags, ambros and tintypes.The same is true of cameras. I had one try to sell me a 2D claiming it was a daguerotype camera.
    Woe upon the poor 2D, sold for an exorbitant price, to wallow high on the shelf of some self absorbed boomers McMansion, who knows not the front from the back, let alone that it is perfectly usable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some "Antique" dealers over inflate the prices, usually because of ignorance, occasionally because of avarice. Some don't know what they have and that can work in your favor.

This spring I found a nice little Kodak Retina IIa (with case) in a shop with a price tag of $30.00, marked down to $20.00. The guy who sold it to me told me that the shutter was jammed and he didn't think you could get film for it. I bought it anyway.

When the frame counter, on a Retina is on 1, the advance locks. It isn't the first time I've been told that film may be unavailable. It's a nice little camera that just need a little cleaning.

I was a little surprised that the guy hadn't looked for the thing on the net, but I think he hadn't. A really ugly old Kodak Autographic, on another shelf had a price tag of $120.00.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's the truth Paul, sometimes those guys don't know what they are having. Recently I went to a fleamarket and some "antique" dealer had a nice Agfa Isola II lying at his table for the royal price of 2 Euro. I picked it up and he said it didn't work anymore (at least he was honest about it) and that's why the price was so low. Little did he know that in order to get it working you have to pull out the lens (because it's a tube design). He was unpleasantly surprised when I popped it out and had it working without a glitch. Needless to say I had already payed of course .
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd tell em.

On ebay a beau brownie just sold for $500
    A bit suspicious but still
    I played with this very camera and decided not to buy it ..it probably sold for $15-30 along with a box of other crap
    Figured it was worth $75 or so but not very interested in that kinda thing
    Body in very nice condition but being the Tan/Brown model not something I put a huge collector value on
    Anyway, the shutter didn't work. I lost all interest eventhough likely easy as pie to fix

On ebay the photo had horrible white balance and the color seemed to be reddish on the faceplate
    would be a rare anomaly

It was only at $75 with a bit of time left so I figured no one was frothing
    It jumped and ended up at $500 ..suspicious but still

Now I think I should have at least attempted to set people straight on the camera.

I really like my Retina IIa +sun shade/filters box I just bought for $30 ..along with other cameras/stuff
    SWEET little camera. It's in really nice condition and the everready is beautiful

I call it my Lil Leica. It may see as much work as my OM-1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I picked up an old 1/2 plate camera in central London. The antique dealer was selling some old wooden double darkslides (which fitted the old camera).
    He was adament that they were 'Photo frames'! and could understand why I wanted them with the camera.

Marcus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin