Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,163   Online: 896

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some interesting cameras in that list. The Contax S which of course is the first modern looking 35mm SLR caused lawsuits after the war when production continued on newer versions in East Germany. Compared to the West German post War Zeiss SLR's it was streets ahead.

The Kodak Super Six, I've never seen one before, looks an amazing camera if it had been improved/upgraded it would have been a world beater.

It is a very subjective list, and assuming they are looking at consumer cameras there's 5 they haven't listed that I'd either want to buy or expect yo see on the list.

Leica IIIg or Reid 3
    Olympus Pen FT
    Pentax Spotmatic
    Zeiss Sper Ikonta
    Olympus OM1

And the most important camera of all time probably won't make the list - the Kodax Box Brownie - that took photography to the people.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And for Mr Clarke

5 Deardorff
    4 Gandolfi
    3 Agfa Ansco (Scoville or Antony & Scoville)
    2 Watson
    1 Sanderson

Ian

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There are some interesting cameras in that list. The Contax S which of course is the first modern looking 35mm SLR caused lawsuits after the war when production continued on newer versions in East Germany. Compared to the West German post War Zeiss SLR's it was streets ahead.

The Kodak Super Six, I've never seen one before, looks an amazing camera if it had been improved/upgraded it would have been a world beater.

It is a very subjective list, and assuming they are looking at consumer cameras there's 5 they haven't listed that I'd either want to buy or expect yo see on the list.

Leica IIIg or Reid 3
    Olympus Pen FT
    Pentax Spotmatic
    Zeiss Sper Ikonta
    Olympus OM1

And the most important camera of all time probably won't make the list - the Kodax Box Brownie - that took photography to the people.

Ian

The Box Brownie came in the top five, along with the original Kodak.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I now remember the other one in the top five is the Kine Exakta - but I wouldn't swear to it. Still seems to me that any list that excludes the Nikon F and the all the Graflexes is missing a major hunk of photographic history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I forgot the Exacta, amazing cameras I'd love another.

I think the Graflexes aren't there because they are professional cameras, not mainstream. So can you remember the other 2 ?

Ian

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica A, Leica D, Kine Exakta, Kodak Brownie, and Original Kodak are the top five, as far as I can recall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange, what they've actually listed are landmarks in camera evolution, yes they are all key cameras in consumer camera evolution but they aren't the "Top Twenty Cameras of all Time".

As you say you can't leave out the Nikon F . . . . . . and I'd add the Spotmatic.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Any sort of list like this is going to be highly subjective unless the playing field is leveled (with parameters such as format and cost when new) and actual performance criteria are introduced.

I happen to think that my Spotmatics are just about the coolest things ever, but I am sure that there's someone else out there who thinks that devotion to the Spotmatic is just idiotic.

Also, why would no view cameras or pinhole cameras be included on the list? I would say that, more than some of these on the list, Louis Daguerre's original device or William Fox Talbot's early work with negatives ought to have made the list.

I may have also added the Holga to the list. Technically, it falls far behind most of these other cameras, but on the other hand it's low price and wide availability has brought photography to many folks the world over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, they need a Graphic, a Rollei, a Barnack Leica, and the Nikon F in the top five for sure...especially the Nikon F, the first modern-style 35mm large-system SLR to be hugely popular among professionals. The other one in my top 5, as much as I personally dislike the camera, would be the Canon AE-1, the camera that put SLRs into the hands of every Tom, Dick, and Harry and started the current trend of high quality cameras that a monkey could operate...not to mention making Canon *extremely* rich and setting the stage for their near takeover of the market in the autofocus and digital age, not to mention the diversity of products that they now offer.

Also, how could they have this list without a Sinar (and a Linhof) or an RB67? Come on....the commercial photographer's go-to axes for decades and they leave them off the list.....

But these lists are always stupid and irrelevant anyhow.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I own and use 3 on the list form Camera Review, but they certainly would not make my list of top 20. I have 4 others I would rate higher.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin