Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,625   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A Keeshond, perhaps?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely an old photo - I would say around 1930, which is quite a while ago in dog years!! Crazily, this is one of the most gorgeous photos I have ever owned but I just cannot seem to find a home for it on my wall on account of the subject matter.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I googled malamute and it looks like the closest match yet.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    ...The other problem with identifying this dog is that some of the breed standards evolve over the years - I wonder how old this photo is. As you say, he could be my favourite breed, the Ubiquitous Mutt.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Before Wikipedia, we could have asked Robert Service who wrote about a "bunch of the boys whooping it up in the Malamute Saloon" Probably better not to have asked "Dangerous Dan" who wouldn't have answered anyway once the lights went up. My dad know every line of the "Shooting of Dan McGrew" and could deliver it very well.

I have long since lost the book "Songs of a Sour Dough" unfortunately.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Just checked this out tonight. As someone who got paid $3.00 a week to feed and water 49 sled dogs in 1961-2 at the tender age of 13, my guess would be a malemute/ collie/ sheepdog mix. The head clearly looks malemute, body hair looks collie though. As for size, it would depend on the owner because there has been a lot of crossbreeding to have a dog sized for the work purpose. It broke down to having a dog for freight puller or a sprint dog for speed. After an absence of 25 years, I returned home to Fairbanks, Alaska to see a sport of very highly specialized racing dogs and what has become a very commercial sport. Ah, for the good old days!
    As for the dog in the photo, he looks to be a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin