Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,956   Posts: 1,558,035   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Antique dog print - but which breed is it?

Hi everyone - I have had this print listed in the collectibles area for a couple of eons. Just today I received an email that this pooch is not an Akita. Oy, the embarrassment. Can anyone ID the breed for sure?

Thanks,
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2597akita-large.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss View Post
    Hi everyone - I have had this print listed in the collectibles area for a couple of eons. Just today I received an email that this pooch is not an Akita. Oy, the embarrassment. Can anyone ID the breed for sure?

Thanks,
    Jon
    alaskan malamute?
    (sled dog)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    looks like an alaskan malamute. The husky's tail doesn't curl up like that.

purdy dog...
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Handsome dog!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The curl of the tail leads me to think it is a Norwegian Elk Hound.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Legs look too short to be a Malamute.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 09-08-2008 at 11:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looking through my Atlas of Dog Breeds book, I have to agree it is an Alaskan Malamute. They tend to be stocky looking compared to the more leggy Siberian Husky. And the markings are very like the other Malamutes I've seen - that mask around the eyes is very common with the breed, though this specimen has very clear markings. Judging from the pose I'd be willing to wager that the fido in your print was a show dog.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Noblebeast, how did you rule out the Elkhound, which would have been my first guess as well. Too bad there's no indication of the actual size of the dog.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Noblebeast, how did you rule out the Elkhound, which would have been my first guess as well. Too bad there's no indication of the actual size of the dog.
    Well, Johnny, In all the years I worked in Veterinary Hospitals, showed dogs, and perused many different breed books, I've never seen an Elkhound with facial markings as distinct as that. Which doesn't mean they don't exist in the Elkhound line, but markings like that are more common with the Malamutes. Second, the tail on the Elkhound usually makes a tighter, more complete circle. Again, that doesn't mean more relaxed tails can't exist in Elkhounds. Third, the fringe of hair, especially on the legs, seems to be more prevalent in Malamutes. Fourth, the body seems slightly long for an Elkhound, they tend to be more square. Fifth, there is a very pronounced 'stop' (the area between the forehead and where the muzzle starts) that is a Malamute trait. Sixth, Murray said the legs appeared too short for a Malamute, but I think we are seeing a distortion because the picture was not laying flat when it was copied so we are fooled by perspective to think that the legs on the dog are shorter than they would probably look if we had the print flat.

Plus, just to complicate things, there are a dozen or so separate sledding breeds that are rare and not AKC or UKC recognized, and we might even be looking at one of those.

But I agree, without something else in the picture to indicate the scale of the dog, we're just left with our best guesses regarding the possible breed. And I will admit that since you reside in the much colder North, you no doubt have seen many more of these 'Arctic' breeds on a day-to-day basis than I have. But based on the foregoing, I'd still wager that the dog in the picture is a Malamute. Of course it is very possible that the dog we are looking at is a mix-breed, in which case we can each call it whatever we want. I'm sure we can all agree however that it is not an Akita.

Joe
    Last edited by noblebeast; 09-09-2008 at 12:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the south of the north, so don't get to see that many far-north type dogs, and I'm sure you know them better than I do. The other problem with identifying this dog is that some of the breed standards evolve over the years - I wonder how old this photo is. As you say, he could be my favourite breed, the Ubiquitous Mutt.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin