Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,007   Online: 704

Shooter
    Medium Format

Restoring leather on old Ikon 520

I have an old Zeiss Ikonta 520 from maybe 1933. It's in working condition but the leather looks a little squalid. Please see:

http://richardleveson.com/IMG_0550

Book restorers use a kind of colour-matched 'goop' to cover small leather chips, tears and scuffs - is there a favoured compound in the camera restoring community?

Thanks,
    Spotty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use black shoe leather restorer, on my cameras and that works fine, I guess you could use a bit of latex adhesive with black dye added to cover any chips. I used Black nail polish on the paint chips.

The leather in your photo doesn't look that bad, once it's black again the missing worn bits won't be particularly noticeable

Welcome to APUG BTW.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

leather restoration

I have one of these and was very impressed with my first roll! I use black leather dye for shoes followed by Kiwi black wax (flat tin) shoe polish. On the metal and the painted (even on plastic) surfaces I apply Flitz per instructions. Neutral Kiwi works well on all other leather colors, especially leather neveready cases. Pix of the camera and shots from the first roll.
    Last edited by puderse; 09-15-2008 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: link doesn't show

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    can you just replace it..
    http://www.cameraleather.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Makers name, camera mode & serial number etc are all Stamped into the leather, so the problem you lose all that info if you replace the leather. From the larger than life photo it looks like it wouldn't take much to make the camera look pretty reasonably fairly easily.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The Makers name, camera mode & serial number etc are all Stamped into the leather, so the problem you lose all that info if you replace the leather. From the larger than life photo it looks like it wouldn't take much to make the camera look pretty reasonably fairly easily.

Ian
    Yeah! I agree, it looks pretty good, just restore the leather carefully with black polish etc. and let it be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I bought a leather couch they also gave me a leather maintenance kit with two chemicals specially designed to clean and maintain the leather. I used this leather cleaning solution (don't have the name) to clean up stained leatherette on my old Rolleicord. After I cleaned up the stains that area seam to have lost color and shine so I applied black shoe polish and got the leatherette back to about 90% of the original condition.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On a couple cameras I've taken steel wool to the leather ..only because I don't really care for the black

It gives the appearance and feel of a worn leather basketball which I happen to think is great
    Yours is probably too good of a camera to do that to but
    I think it's pretty dope

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well you can just replace the leatherette which is a lot easier than I thought (I recovered an XGA in RED snake skin) Anyways... judging by the pic I would just give it a shot of black kiwi show polish. Recovering is good looking but you can't ever copy the embossed decor.
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin