Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,887   Online: 1198

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ole's cupboards probably look just like that

Ian
    No, mine have fewer and larger cameras - and a lot more brass lenses.

This collection is even more of an "accumulation" than mine! As far as I can see, there are only two cameras there that I might be interested in. Well - 3 cameras. That looks like a 4.5x6cm plate camera with film pack (!) in one of the pictures.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's one huge problem with this sale, we just don't have a clue how many of those cameras are good, functional, or just junk. Who ever put this collection together didn't take good care of it, or maybe that should be the current owner.

As a whole they will only make a small fraction of their true value, and anyone buying the package and cleaning, cataloguing and re-selling on ebay could make a killing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's one huge problem with this sale, we just don't have a clue how many of those cameras are good, functional, or just junk. Who ever put this collection together didn't take good care of it, or maybe that should be the current owner.
    Ian
    The owner writes (translated from German):

The objects are for the most part in good condition, technically however, they have been kept for so long, so as to be sure that one or another shutter has "hardened" / is unusable.
    I won't make a list, nor answer specific detailed questions regarding certain pieces. As it is displayed, it is sold (WYSIWYG )
    The original well conserved and well kept after Biedermeijer cupboard is sold separately for 2000 euro's. Shipping cost depending on packaging, because of weight and several boxes

If it is even sold and the price target is met! Otherwise it stays, and anyone interested can report himself next year a second time.
    END QUOTE
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Marco

So it's sold take it or leave it, as long as you pay more than my reserve

The comments are fair, particularly about the shutters etc, but the seller isn't helping himself. I guess he's decided a figure and wants minimal effort in disposing of the equipment.

In the past I've bough well from sellers like this. Around 2000 I answered a Newsgroup add for darkroom equipment, being sold as one lot, numerous people wanted this or that, but the seller the deeased owners son didn't want the hassle of selling off equipment he knew nothing about. I bought the lot and the fraction I sold paid for everything.

This sale seems like that. The seller doesn't have the knowledge to sell anything off separately. So buy it now or wait until I've had it catalogued and valued properly.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    maybe he just wants to be fair and honest regarding the cameras, and shutters?
    i know of sellers i have bought from who listed things
    in conditions other than actual . ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-20-2008 at 07:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    gandolfi : You buy the lot keep the cameras and send me the display case : Thanks Lauren
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf66 View Post
    gandolfi : You buy the lot keep the cameras and send me the display case : Thanks Lauren

that's an idea, but I happen to like the Bidermeier cubbord!
    not for the cameras, but for other reasons.

I
    d certainly like to buy this lot, but as said, I am not a wealthy man.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I
    d certainly like to buy this lot, but as said, I am not a wealthy man.....

You're joking?:o
    I'm sure the seller would trade that lot, for a bottle of wine, with those two model friends you have.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    35mm
    Some insight into the seller’s frame of mind may be gained from this, his last sale (of a Leitz Aristophot photomicrography camera, very grubby, rusty in parts, electrical power supply probably lethal, quite a few lenses which would be worth having if not full of mold):

“Keine Ahnung was das alles ist und was genau dabei ist, wie komplett, wie es funktioniert etc. Es ist jedenfalls äusserst schwer und zum TRANSPORT per POST denkbar ungeeignet. Deshalb, Abholung bevorzugt. Ansonsten mindestens 2 Kisten, Kosten so nicht zu ermitteln. Preis willkürlich eingesetzt, nur halt nicht zu verschenken (höchstens an ein MUSEUM - aber die in Frage kommenden haben sich nicht gerührt)..”

“No idea what it is, what is present, how complete, how it works etc. Alll I can say is it is very heavy and highly unsuitable for shipping. Pick-up is therefore preferred. Otherwise at least 2 crates will be needed, costs impossible to determine. I have set a price at random, I’m not going to give it away, except perhaps to a museum, but possible candidates have not responded ...”

A seller for people who like to take a chance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Final price for this lot - US$3,500! From what could be seen in the pictures, the Linhof 9x12 or 4x5 plus two vintage Contaxes and a Leica would have taken care of this amount, the rest would have been free to anyone with the time to drive a van to Karlsruhe!

PS: I should have noted that the final bid did not reach the reserve price - my guess is that this is $5,000 - who knows? The cameras are still up for grabs!
    Last edited by nemo999; 09-23-2008 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin