Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,644   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I will contact the seller - he assurred me that these were originals with 99,9 % percent certainty - delivered by the US government for the newspapers to use back then in 1941

Well these informations are certainly a wee bit overstated - and I will claim a full refund.

Thanks Peter.

:-( What a scam)
    Last edited by BlueLemon; 11-06-2008 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Well, the seller may have been fooled as well. All of the images show paper margins around the edges of the images. The shots of the marines shows two complete and two partial images on the same frame, all on a background of some kind.

The newspaper crop marks are a dead giveaway, and unless that image of FDR is on a badly cracked glass negative, the cracks are pretty suspect. Looks like it was copied through a cracked frame glass. Even the photo of the sunk ship has a margin on the bottom. They're all most likely copy shots.

Peter Gomena
    Those are good points. It is also possible the original images have a copyright. Or perhaps they are from the National Archives. I bet the researchers at the National Archives would know if they have the original. http://www.archives.gov/research/ww2/photos/

Here are two related images I found. One is from Library of Congress and the other is in the National Archives. Anyone can request copies from the National Archives, though these days you probably just get an inkjet print. http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...-pictures.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that pretty much sums it up

I have asked seller for full refund, since this is copyrighted material not to be sold by him.

Thanks guys..... happiness is shortlived in this world ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLemon View Post
    Well that pretty much sums it up

I have asked seller for full refund, since this is copyrighted material not to be sold by him.

Thanks guys..... happiness is shortlived in this world ;-)
    These images are likely public domain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    // Jbrunner - Maybe, but the picture of FDR looks very similar to the one IC-Racer posted from the Library of congress - just another angle. But maybe same photographer.

However these are stated to be copywork, which I initially did not see - and I was just fooled by the article and description on Ebay.

I just don´t want it now

Claus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you ever have the time or inclination... the FDR library in Hyde Park, NY is a great resource for images of FDR, most of which are now in the public domain, and easy to obtain copy prints from. I've done photo research there, and it's a lot of fun to go through their files. Anyone interested in the history of FDR's presidency would be well served by a visit there. You may need a "reason" to get access to the files... I was working for a well known news magazine at the time, but I think just about any freelance researcher can get access, provided you give some indication of their purpose.

In other words, they can't be licensed for commercial purposes, but I think any history buff can acquire prints. Seeing original negatives... that's a different story, and I'd bet a lot of the negatives from that time are pretty delicate.

One interesting note... only two photographs exist of FDR shown in his wheelchair. One can be found on his Wiki page, and there is another where he is talking with a group of people, and you only see him from the back, IIRC.

His wiki page has one of those wheelchair pix, though cropped to a square from a vertical with a bit more breathing room.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Cottage

All that said, I would be very suspicious of anyone offering "original negs" of FDR since the copy prints are so easily obtained.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 11-06-2008 at 05:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whoa, are you effing kidding me? Negs like that can just be bought???! :o

Well, congrats on purchasing a piece of history. Pretty amazing.

P.S. Oh okay I just read the rest of the thread, sorry....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fools rush in, where angles dare not go ! Sorry to hear you got yourself burnt :
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

These may in fact have been copy negatives made by the government for reprinting copies for wide distribution. If it was to be a nationwide release, having more than a single negative from which to make hundreds of prints would make sense. These may indeed be original copy negatives, but not original negatives.

I hope you get a full refund.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Definitely, military photographers were not shooting with 5x7 view cameras on tripods using glass negs by WWII, especially in combat zones. And even the shot of Roosevelt signing the declaration of war was likely done with a 4x5 press camera, not a 5x7. These are surely copies as others have rightly pointed out.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin