Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,979   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Original negative of Roosevelt declaring war on Japan

I just bought a 5x7 original glassnegative of Franklin D. Roosevelt signing the wardeclaration towards Japan on December 8.th 1941

Also 2 other original glassnegatives - One from Pearl Habour with the ship USS Oklahoma photographed from starbord keel (sunk on December 7.th 1941)

and then finally one negative with marines preparing for fight

Am I a happy man - this is sooooo cool.... a little bit of history

Claus
    Last edited by BlueLemon; 11-05-2008 at 08:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great, I would be happy too if I them. I would love to see them.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Claus, what an interesting find. Tell me, do you collect the negatives as objets d'art themselves; or do you intend to print them somehow?

Are they sturdy enough to withstand printing, scanning, or whatever you intend to do?

As a side historical note, interesting to speculate what course the war might have taken had Hitler not helped FDR out of a bind by actually honoring his treaty with Japan by declaring war on the US....
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These negatives are going to be made in 50x70 old printing paper with Liquid emulsion - only darkroom, and maybe a scan just to document on the net for you guys.

These are just inverted in PS from a small file - just so you can get a glimpse of these :

First the President :

And then from Pearl Habour :

And last two - actually two negatives of marines

Nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails negaA.jpg   negB.jpg   negC.jpg  
    Last edited by BlueLemon; 11-05-2008 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Claus;

What a find. What good fortune. I feel a vicarious sense of accomplishment with you.

At this time, I am in Hawaii. Yesterday, I was operating KH6BB from Radio Central, the radio room of the Battleship Missouri, BB63, in Pearl Harbor. The news of your find blends very appropriately with the sense of history that can be found in Pearl Harbor.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Ralph,

That must be awesome to be at that location - no matter what. I will post nice scans of my prints when i get the negatives. Hopefully they are intact when i receive them - they have already some cracks in the glass.

Actually there was a fourth auction - which i sadly didn┤t win, because this would have finished the circle of the story. A battleship exploding in Pearl Habour on the 7.th 1941..... but I did not get that negative, but have written the winning bidder to ask him to sell it to me. I believe he wants to scan his negative only, but as he bid on the 3 auctions that I won, we might help eachother out ;-)

Claus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wonder how they came to be piced up at an auction...they seem to be genuine historical articles, the sort you'd see in a museum. In any event, they're certainly part of national history, and a big part of the history of the 20th century!

I think I'd like to go to some of the same auction circles you move in!

Are you sure these are originals? The FDR shot and the third shot with the marines appear to be copy shots. The FDR image has newspaper crop marks on the margins.

The glass negatives are a bit fishy, too. Most photographers had abandoned glass negatives by the end of WWI. WWII negatives would most likely have been nitrate-based. Maybe some old guy in a studio copied some images on glass at one point.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I work with historic photo collections, and something is not right here. I hope you did not pay for one thing and received another.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the seller states that he is 99,9 % sure that these are not replicas

But hey - I have been fooled before ;-)

Well, the seller may have been fooled as well. All of the images show paper margins around the edges of the images. The shots of the marines shows two complete and two partial images on the same frame, all on a background of some kind.

The newspaper crop marks are a dead giveaway, and unless that image of FDR is on a badly cracked glass negative, the cracks are pretty suspect. Looks like it was copied through a cracked frame glass. Even the photo of the sunk ship has a margin on the bottom. They're all most likely copy shots.

Peter Gomena

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin