Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,414   Online: 1027

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cleaning Green Crud off an Old Camera

I just got a very nice Ansco Memo in the mail except for one small issue. Around the nameplate and the base of the viewfinder, there's some green crud growing. What's the best way to clean it off without destroying paint or leather?

Thanks,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Copper solvent. You can get it from the local gun shop or sporting goods section of wal-mart. The green crud is corroded copper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks. I'll go looking for it tonight maybe (weather dependant). I always figured it for some sort of organic. Didn't occur to me there would be copper anywhere in a camera but I suppose that makes sense since a lot of these old parts are made of brass which is around 70% copper if I remember right.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Verdigris

If that makes you feel better than thinking of it as green gunk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    ...The green crud is corroded copper.
    The nameplate is most likely a copper alloy. Those things were photoengraved like halftones for letterpress. Probably the same material.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to use something a little less strong you might try fresh lemon juice.

Or, for a method that's basically dry, I'd try slightly moistened "magic white foam". That's the kitchen helper that came out some 5 years ago. It looks like a block (or blocks) of fine white foam. But it isn't simple foam. It is mildly abrasive and can remove just about any stain from hard surfaces without leaving scratches.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Verdigris

If that makes you feel better than thinking of it as green gunk.
    The best example (or most visible) might be the Statue of Liberty. Rather not think of her as coated in green gunk so verdigris it is.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin