Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,750   Online: 959

Shooter
    35mm

No luck with Rollei SLR's

I know they are nothing special, but I've been hooked on the Rollei SL35M and SL35ME for years. I like their size, weight, feel, and "whir-clunk" when they fire.

The problem is the unreliability of the shutters and metering system. I've gone through so many of these cameras. I get one, it breaks, I fix it, or use it as a parts body for the next one.

Right now I have two SL35M's; one works fine and one has a nonworking meter.

As for SL35ME's, they are heartbreakers. The metering system is so unreliable. The camera can be working perfectly and the next shot it conks out. I own three nonworking SL35ME's and one that was working but is sputtering at the moment with an unknown short.

The Rollei system evolved into the trim, solid-state, reliable SL35E. I own one and love it. But it doesn't give me any problems! Those older models are such a challenge. One of these days I hope to have dependable, working versions of all. If it's possible.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I sympathise with you from the angle of the Pentax 'M' series. I bought a new ME when it appeared, impressed by its small size coupled with the Pentax name. It was OK for a couple of years and then nothing but trouble. I subsequently owned a nearly-new ME Super, which soon developed metering and shutter problems and later a low mileage MX (erratic slow shutter speeds). Sadly, I never learn and have just given up trying to fix the meter of an MX (permanently reading underexposed) and the metering of an ME Super (drifts slowly down the row of LEDs as you watch). These last two were recent cheap purchases which have only really served to lower my average of camera fixes! Fortunately my pair of KXs which I've had for 22 years just keep on going!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is too bad. However, I think it is time to get yourself a camera that simply works all the time regardless of anything else! It doesn't matter how much you like a camera for all the non-important reasons (the whir-click-whatever). That is all well and good, but so secondary that it is crazy to make your decisions based on these things. It is a tool, not a jewel. If it does not reliably let you get shots, it is worse than a paperweight. At least a paperweight always does what it is supposed to do. There are so many great 35mm SLR cameras out there that can be had for peanuts, why keep screwing around with cameras that have given you nothing but trouble? Get a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm lens for under $30 shipped on eBay, or something similar, like a Nikon equivalent, an M42 Pentax or Minolta SRT, and you will have very good luck. I just got two AE-1s, each with a 50mm 1.8 lens for $40 shipped plus $12 in parts and installation at my local guy to replace the hot shoe on one of them. They both work as if new, and these sorts of deals are not rare, so I am giving them as gifts to some very good beginning students who do not have cameras yet at the school where I work and take classes. I am sure you love that type of camera, and I can understand that, but a camera that does nothing but break is no longer a viable tool. Time to cut your losses and try something else.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-08-2009 at 04:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    That is too bad. However, I think it is time to get yourself a camera that simply works all the time regardless of anything else!
    Thanks for the reply. I do own many dependable shooters in various formats. Tinkering with broken cameras is a side hobby, a challenge. And those Rollei's are definitely a challenge. I just got a SL35ME to work on "Auto" and I realize it is firing at the same shutter speed regardless of light level. Ugh!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I do own many dependable shooters in various formats. Tinkering with broken cameras is a side hobby, a challenge. And those Rollei's are definitely a challenge. I just got a SL35ME to work on "Auto" and I realize it is firing at the same shutter speed regardless of light level. Ugh!
    Likewise here. The tinkering is my equivalent of other people's crossword puzzles. I generally consider that I'm doing OK if I don't make the original problem any worse and if I effect an improvement, well that's a bonus!

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin