Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,147   Online: 813

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nev
    Shooter
    Holga

Help with Antique Apertures

Might be a silly question, but I am new to older vintage cameras.

What vintage camera could I pick up for cheap that has a large aperture? Like f/4-f/2? They were made with such apertures back then correct?

Shooter
    35mm
    It might help if you specified the format you are interested in. With large format it isn't so much a question of camera as lens/shutter combinations. Most large format lenses that offer those kinds of apertures are "portrait" lenses, petzvals, projection lenses, etc. They offer wildly varying optical characteristics. Some can be in shutter, most are in barrel, necessitating a Packard shutter or other shutter method. The Speed Graphic camera has a focal plane shutter, which does away with the need for a Packard, but there is less lens selection for in 4x5 than 8x10, as 8x10 was a standard portrait format in the day. Most MF can easily be found with a 2.8-4, depending on focal length. Keep in mind that because the "normal" focal lengths of medium and large format cameras increase with size the apparent DOF becomes much less, so from a bokeh perspective a narrow focus effect is much easier to achieve with a larger format. For instance on 4x5 a portrait style lens might have a focal length of about 200mm, and that is the DOF the lens will deliver for a given stop, although the FOV will approximate perhaps a 70mm or some such on 35 (SWAG alert)

If it is about speed, well, it is what it is.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 03-11-2009 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    interesting. hmmm.
    I was looking at the medium format folders that could use 120....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    interesting. hmmm.
    I was looking at the medium format folders that could use 120....
    The older folders seem to live in the f4 range, but that isn't a genre I'm totally familiar with. An 90mm or so f4 on a 6x9 will give a very pleasing bokeh at portrait distance. FOV will be similar to 50mm on 35.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should be able to find a 645 folder with a 75mm f:3.5 Zeiss Tessar. I don't know of any MF folders with lenses faster than f:3.5?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    f/3.5 and f/4.5 are not uncommon on middle- and high-end folders from about the 1930s onward---Ikontae, Nettars, Voigtlaenders, various 6x9 plate cameras. There's a good body of information on desirable folders at <http://www.certo6.com>, with an indication of which lenses come on some of them.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A lot of older German Wirgin's with Wollensak lenses are in the 4-3.5 range. To name just one.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    2.8 tessar through to 3.5 tessars, 2.8, 2.9 xenar, 2.9 radionar, trioplan and cassar are a few available on 6x6 folders such as welta amonst many others..there are 3.8 xenar, 3.5 heliar, scopar and trinar just to name a few on 6x9 folder as well.

so you should have no trouble in finding what your after

Nev
    Shooter
    Holga
    I looked and found a folder with a trioplan. This look ok? Worth what they are asking?
    TRIOPLAN FOLDER
    Its a VARIO... ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nope, and it has a f:6.3 lens, not verry fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin