Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,928   Online: 1099

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lubricating old brass helicals

I have a couple of cameras / lenses that need helical lubrication. One is a zeiss super ikonta, the other an old lens. Both have a brass thread inside a harder metal threaded sleeve for focusing; I need to clean these and relubricate. What would you recommend to make the focus smooth again? Some kind of synthetic grease, or something else?

I don't want to use the wrong lubricant and mess up either camera or lens with spills, seepage, or vapour, and I don't want to use something that will gum up with age. I will only undertake this if I can do a professional job that will not degrade the camera or lens. (I'm skilled enough at disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly - that's not a problem for me, I've done it many times with many cameras). What would you recommend?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The best grease is lithium based grease that has a high vapor point.
    These greases will not attack the metal and stay good for years.

Try www.micro-tools.com .

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin