Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,465   Online: 1148

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    ... if they trust you they'll tell you some pretty chilling stories about what some people on our side have done in the recent past. You need look no further than Guantanamo Bay.
    Justin,
    Do you have proof or can you point to some documentation of atrocities being committed at Guantanamo Bay?

David

I thought they looked Japanese...
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 05-03-2009 at 08:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HouTexDavid View Post
    Justin,
    Do you have proof or can you point to some documentation of atrocities being committed at Guantanamo Bay?

David
    Do you really need the proof????

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    During the invasion of Okinawa the Marines took no prisoners. There was not a place to contained them and if let go them they would join their unit and continue to fight. And when you look at the situation the enemy was every where; no such thing as a front line.

As for the film being nitrate, I would recommend cool storage and kept way from any flames or smokers unless you want to be a crispy critter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    Do you really need the proof????

Jaap Jan
    I guess not... I heard that atrocities were committed by Jaap Jan. Do you really need the proof?!

So, you see, allegations of atrocities, unsubstantiated by proof or documentation are just hearsay and rumor.

(By the way, I didn't really hear that you committed atrocities, just wanted to make the point.)

And, yes, if someone alleges that U.S. forces in Guantanamo Bay committed atrocities, I think that I would like to see some substantiation of those allegations. Otherwise, that "hearsay" denigrates the reputation of honorable service men and women.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    rightly or wrongly i dont really care to much or at least give much of my time thinking about the Guantanomo situation. however i am not completely blind to the obvious, FBI wont have much to do with it because they want to distance themselves from illegal acts, Obama's closing it down for all sorts of reported reasons, the same facility wouldn't be permitted in most other places in the world under human right acts, the list goes on and on.

YVMV but most people believe they are held illegally (which is inhuman on its own). As time goes on the proof will be more evident, it is already coming out as some of the prisoners are providing statements and you only have to see the the broken teeth and malnutrition condition of them to see they havnt been treated humanly, in some cases Judges are ruling exactly that so that should be proof enough. In truth though the whole things presents itself as a problem for Obama, on one hand out of the 250 or so people illegally imprisoned, there are reportedly about 50 who will probably face trial, some of which are suspected of being ranking Al-Qaedea. however that leaves 200 or so that have been imprisoned and are innocent. so it is a problem to be sure...some prisoners have been released under the proviso they sign confidentiality type agreements not to speak about there treatment while imprisoned. the whole thing stinks as another Bush stuff up that someone else has to clean up..still looking for the weapons of mass destruction eh.....,

i feel for those service people stationed there and possibly in the future being wrongly tainted with its association (except for the select few that possibly did commit inhumane acts), . i suspect Obama will find a way for the whole thing to shut down and the matter closed with little fall out

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HouTexDavid View Post
    Justin,

David
    My apologies, I meant to refer to Abu Ghraib and not Guantanamo Bay. You are correct in that there is little evidence to support the allegations of atrocities at Guantanamo Bay.

If I have time I'll bring this subject up in the soap box since it's OT for this thread and would likely end up there anyways...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    My apologies, I meant to refer to Abu Ghraib and not Guantanamo Bay. You are correct in that there is little evidence to support the allegations of atrocities at Guantanamo Bay.

If I have time I'll bring this subject up in the soap box since it's OT for this thread and would likely end up there anyways...
    Justin,
    Thanks very much for the clarification. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive about this, and certainly where wrong has been done, it should be addressed, but I wasn't aware of any documented behavior at GB that would qualify as an "atrocity".

Again, thanks for your response...David

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin