Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1338

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edison lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Edison lens

I have a lens that I've used infrequently and I've just put it on a 5x7 studio camera to try some portraits. It has, very faintly printed, on its side, "Edison Manufacturing, Orange, NJ" and then, lower, Bausch and Lomb. The only thing listed in the Vade Mecum is this:

"Edison" A brass and nickel projection Petzval type lens highlights the relation of Bausch & Lomb and the
    Edison Manufacturing Co, for whom this is a No1 type lens. It is probably about 3.5-4.0in."

The brass and nickel projection part is right. Only problem is that this lens focuses on infinity at about 325mm and measures an f9 or 10 (WAG measuring system at work here.) My other Petzval lenses are quite rapid, more like f3.8

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    325mm? That doesn't sound like a lens for a movie projector. I wonder what Edison invention that one was for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably a Projecting Kinetoscope. Like this one: http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits.../kinet2big.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    Probably a Projecting Kinetoscope. Like this one: http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits.../kinet2big.jpg
    I've looked at all of the images I can find of the Kinetoscope, but never found a lens on one that looked like the one I have, which is, without posting a picture now since the lens is at school and I'm home, a pretty standard looking brass and nickel lens from the late 19th century. It doesn't have a slot for waterhouse stops, has a built in extension/shade on it's front end and is adjustable by means of a sliding collar and tangent drive. I bought it at a PHSNE auction a couple of years ago. I've attached one of the first 8x10 images I took last year with it. The picture made me want to try the lens for portraits, but I haven't gotten around to it.

The lens measures 105mm by 59.4 mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edisonweb.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does it look like this? This was a magic lantern lens I had for a while. 14 inch. I've found the lantern or projector lenses came in all sizes, and I've seen several with Edison written on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BL_3.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mine is a real petzval:

adapted to a digital rebel (God forgive me, for using "digital" as a word):

portrait set-up example:

Last edited by bearclaw; 06-04-2010 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice adaptation. I get mine onto my EOS bodies using an EOS/FD adapter ring and an FD bellows.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, now that you mentioned ring adaptations... I only use canon for this kind of experiments... I prefer to leave my nikon line alone...

for example this selective focus pict:

is not made with a petzval, as one may expect, but with a medium format lens disposed into this outrageously simple rings setting:

I rarely use bellows in 35mm format, except for macro... I prefer large format for bellows, given the significantly greater circle covered by optics.

oh well, I guess I am totally out of our league with the last post... it has nothing to do with the subject anymore (most likely nothing to do with APUG!)
    Last edited by bearclaw; 06-04-2010 at 12:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Edison lens

Greets,

Am also interested in finding an old Edison lens similar to one found here :

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...0-c-091bae2b55

Does anyone have specifications on what lenses were used on Edison's
    projecting kinetoscopes? Who made lenses for Edison?

Also would be interested in finding condenser lenses for lamphouse.

Thanks in advance from Greg in NE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who made lenses for Edison?
    Hi Greg,
    I have to admit it was a bit of a surprise, seeing one of my old posts resurrected this morning, and while I can't answer many of your questions with any finality, I can say that Bausch and Lomb did make lenses for Edison, as seen above in Goamule's post and in my own experience. I have taken a number of pictures now with that Edison lens (not scanned) and I like the "feel" of it. It is physically similar to the one pictured on the Kinetoscope, but then, so are most magic lantern lenses from that period. I found mine by dumb luck. Good luck in your own search and happy new year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin