Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,282   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bellows pinhole repair

I just bought an Agfa B2 Speedex folder camera. I've got about five small pinholes in the bellows and was wondering if there was a quick fix for them.

Is there some sort of thick flexible paint I could dab onto the pinholes to make the bellows lightproof?

Thanks,
    DB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used black liquid fabric paint with success.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the great tip, I'm off to the crafts store now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    DB,
    I have used Wetnwild's Wild Shine Black Creme #424A nail polish with excellent results on several different types of bellows materials including my Titan which uses the same material as your pre-war B2.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to think John's suggestion is better, the fabric paints are usually water based acrylics, I've used some from a craft store to repair bellos and also shutter cloths on a Speed Graphic & a Thornton Pickard shutter, it's very flexible & tough.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had decent luck with black liquid electrical tape, but it's fiddly to apply (a toothpick works better than a brush). In the US it should be easy to find at hardware stores.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've tried many things, and the best method for me is to simply apply patches with gaffer''s tape.

But what you want to do is apply a thin layer of contact cement on the bellows before applying the gaffer's tape. Contact cement will bond but remain pliable, and gaffer's tape won't leave any residue like you might get with other types of tape.

I've tried liquid electrical tape -- worked great for automotive work but wasn't so great with bellows. My exerpience was a sticky mess.

By the way, if that Speedex has plastic bellows, you'll be patching that thing forever. Your best bet is to find a Speedex with leather bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had great success with the Bostick & Sullivan patch kit, made especially for bellows repair:
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=16

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tessar, I use something very similar - a re-inforcing fabric - made in Holland that I buy from a Sewing/Needlecraft shop, it's very thin but light tight. I've used it to patch a set of Pacemaker bellows that were rotten on one edge, it's almost invisible. You can use it inside.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello, Ian, do you have the name of the reinforcing fabric or the paint you bought? It would make it easier when I next get to one of those sewing/craft shops; or maybe I can find it online.

Thanks, Jon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin