Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,273   Online: 991

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also, Kodak had US military contracts for the Medalist, so they could get away with building a more expensive camera that could only conveniently use Kodak rollfilm. There was also a groundglass back that could be used with sheet film, and I suppose film packs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by verney View Post
    Any comments on Kodak Duo 620?
    That's what I've been using lately. Not a bad option if you are good at estimating distance. The viewfinder seems a bit challenging to use while wearing eyeglasses, but generally usable enough. Mine likes two 620 spools. It tends to jam up on modified 120 spools on the supply side and won't wind at all unless a 620 spool is on the takeup side. The vertical format makes portraits easy and gives an interesting perspective on the rest of life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Steve Smith;857441]I think those Kodak marketing 'geniuses' only wanted Kodak 620 film to be used in their cameras!

Was 620 an EK only deal?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any comments on Kodak Duo 620?
    It's hard to find a Duo with the shutter linkage intact. FYI, they're a 6x4.5 format.

The Medalist would be the top choice; they routinely sell for $150-250. They're also very heavy. The Kodak Monitor with the 4-element Anastigmat Special lens would be more economical, and its Supermatic shutter is reliable and fairly easy to CLA. This lens/shutter can very occasionally be found on the Kodak Vigilant too.

The Tourist with the top-of-the-line Anastar lens has the Synchro 800 shutter, which is touchy and appararently unrepairable by the average human. Tourists equipped with the Anastar also have a serial # on the lens. They do give very good results for a 60-year old kit:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...&cutoffdate=-1

Shooter
    35mm

good 620 camera

I've been getting rid of my 620 collection for a while 'cause I can't seem to get past fiddling with the 120's I have. I've a $50 Monitor with an excellent lens/shutter. In the past weeks I've sold 2 tourists with good lenses and shutters and been surprised by how much they seem to be worth. Never had my hands on a Medalist but they seem to be quite expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can't you just put a 620 roll into a 120 camera? The only thing that needs adjusting in the spring tension on the roll, right?

620 rolls were narrower than 120. That is why 120 film would not fit in a 620 camera, the compartment was made smaller. All the other dimensions were the same as 120 rolls.

But you are going the other way. Your 620 rolls should fit right into any 120 camera. You might need to reach in and bend up the spring to add a little tension.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday I found a 620-format Bessa from fleabay with a price tag of 250USD.
    I don't believe there were any 620-only Bessae; I've seen a few billed as such on eBay, but I think they're all mistakes.

If the price isn't just a fit of wishful thinking, that Bessa had better have at least one of a Heliar and a coupled RF. They do command inflated prices compared to other folders, though---in your situation I would ignore this camera. (OK, I looked at the camera and I think the seller is, um, optimistic. It's a scale-focus camera with a triplet---a reasonably high-spec example within those limitations, and it looks like it's in beautiful condition, but still, when you compare it to other folders of similar quality...)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Can't you just put a 620 roll into a 120 camera? The only thing that needs adjusting in the spring tension on the roll, right?

620 rolls were narrower than 120. That is why 120 film would not fit in a 620 camera, the compartment was made smaller. All the other dimensions were the same as 120 rolls.

But you are going the other way. Your 620 rolls should fit right into any 120 camera. You might need to reach in and bend up the spring to add a little tension.
    That is a good point. A couple of my roll film cameras actually have a label inside which says "Use 120 or 620 film". I think in most cameras the spring will cope as it is - there is only a few millimeters in it.

There is a much better range of really good 120s about - and when you have used up your 620s you could sell the spools on eBay and buy some 120 film with the proceeds - and no re-spooling to worry about
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a lens from a Kodak Monitor (takes 620) mounted on a lensboard for my Century Graphic. The lens is a four element 100/4.5 "Special Anastigmat" (tessar formula). The lens is teriffic. Shutter goes from 1sec to 1/400. I have never used the actual Monitor Body, but I can attest to the spectacular performance of the lens. One of the previous posters mentioned that he had one for $50. If the bellows are good, and it is overall functional, buy it!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post

There is one further difference between the 620 spools and the 120 spools - the holes at the end of the spools are different sizes. This often means that you need a 620 spool on the takeup end, because otherwise the winding mechanism won't engage properly. For that reason as well, the 620 roll might also cause problems in a 120 camera, if the camera depends on the feed spool link to ensure film flatness. I expect this would work fine in one of my Mamiya TLRs, for instance, but I'd be concerned about using it in either the inserts for my Mamiya 645s or my Koni-Omega.

While I am sure that marketing considerations played a big part in the introduction of 620 rather than using 120 instead, I think you also have to remember that when 620 was introduced, there were many more film sizes used, and the standardization we see now wasn't nearly as prevalent. In addition, the idea of people in one area of the world buying film from the other side of the globe to fit cameras that were manufactured locally would have seemed much more exotic than it does now.

I think you probably needed to be there at the time to fully appreciate why.

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 09-08-2009 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added comment about 120 camera usage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin