Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,341   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Estate sale "score"

Hello,

As some of you may know, I am the photographer for an estate sales company. I photograph objects on white backgrounds for e-bay, but another part of the job is photographing our warehouse or locations after they are set up for a sale. These pix are used to advertise upcoming sales. As such, I come across old photo equipment all the time, and my boss always gives me first chance to purchase anything for 30% off sticker price before the sale opens to the public. (Since 30% is usually the company's "take" for a job, his version of an employee discount is to not take the 30% for items purchased by employees.) Most of the time it is nothing to write home about, but I have got a nice Linhof III kit and an early Voigtlander Petzval this way.

Today I made a decent "score" on a lot of stuff, and I am curious what exactly one of the items is.

Today I got a near mint Omega B-22XL, which is a twin of the enlarger I already have. It has a better lens than mine (Rodenstock 50mm), and a smaller baseboard, which is nice. I also got a Nikkormat FT with a 50mm Nikkor-S and two Vivitar lenses (28mm f/3.5 and 135mm f/2.8).

However, the real interesting thing is a very nice old leather case filled with Zeiss sheet film holders, and one object that appears to be a film pack holder. These are very slim and made of metal. I have not yet determined whether they are 4x5 in. or 9x12 cm, as the lot of them is still at the location. There is also a set of three filters. Looks like two diopters and a graduated yellow filter.

I love the slim design. However, there is no ridge on the holders for a Graflok back, so I doubt that they will have any utility for me in my 4x5 camera backs. Unfortunately, the camera was nowhere to be found. Perhaps I could use them in a pinhole camera, or if I some day get the camera they are designed to fit.

Does anyone have any ideas what they might be?

I have attached an image of a 6.5x9 version that appears very similar (found on Photo.net, posted by Mr. Pico DiGoliardi).

Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-09-2009 at 11:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I began in photography some 40+ years ago, the C.P. Goretz 3.25X4.25 folding camera my grandfather gave me had similar holders. They can either hold plates; or with the septums hold film.

-30-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are quarter plate or 9x12, the film inserts are hard to find so your lucky. The problem is Zeiss made at least 3 version of the plate holder, there was no national (German) or International standard before WWII. This link gives an idea of the problem, the cameras all look quite similar if not virtually identical.

Sounds like a good day

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you cant use them I know of someone who can
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One of the forum members is looking for some 9x12 film holders here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/classifie...holder-inserts

Contact him. He will need to provide measurements to ensure they are the right ones.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its too much of a hazle to find out if they are any good. Just send them to me
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Its too much of a hazle to find out if they are any good. Just send them to me
    They won't fit a "Hazleblad"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the information. I will post details when I get the time. I have the stuff now. Forgot to mention the Yashica D. Though it is in very nice shape and has a leather case, the shutter does not appear to be working. I got it all for $100.

P.S. In the Nikon's case I just discovered a roll of 35mm 2475 recording film, expired 1973, in the [opened] box with metal canister and instructions.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I expect they are metal film holders for a 9x12 "hand and stand' camera of a type popular in the teens and twenties of the last century.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more thing: The holders are all marked 665/7 and Zeiss Ikon, though there are a few slightly different designs. There are seven of them, plus a Voigtlander holder that appears to be for a film pack or something similar.

The two diopters are marked Carl Zeiss Jena, and Proxar 2 x 42 and Distar 3 x 42. The yellow grad filter has no markings, and does not appear similar in design to the Zeiss diopters.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin