Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,167   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

120 roll film spool with wooden shaft

I have an Agfa spool for what looks like 120 film and the center shaft is made out of wood. Anybody have an idea about when these were made/used? Thanks, Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Might be 620 or one of the 'older' sizes. I recall having seen something similar but can't date it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems to be the same width as 120 and the spool shaft seems to be about the same diameter. Guess I could post a photo. My guess is it came from one of my older cameras. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a wooden 120 spool. They typically date from the second world war, when there were shortages of metal.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weren't they also used before the 1930s?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a wooden 120 spool with metal ends, also Agfa. It came with an exposed roll of Agfa ISS (Isopan Super Special) on it, not that I got anything decent from developing that roll.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a wooden one. It's definitely 120 not 620.
    Mine's featured in the picture I posted for the 120 film article on wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/120_film

I should re-do that picture as I have one or two metal 120 spools now as well. Got the full set!

Squinting at my pictures, my wooden spool is a Kodak one.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few of these too. I may be wrong, but I would say that it could not be 620. All the 620 spools I have ever seen have a much narrower center shaft.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Agfa were definitely using at least some wood-centre 120 spools into the early/mid 1960's, I can accurately date that from the time I was first introduced to serious photography at the school darkroom.
    I'm fairly sure that Kodak and Ilford were then using all-metal 120 spools, which were, of course, later replaced by the present one-piece plastic ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Voigtlander 'Baby Bessa' 66 came with a wood center spool. Dad gave me that camera in 1949; it was used. So, they were around then.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin