Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,012   Online: 872

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    It looks like William Henry Beck of Pennsylvania ..

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/whbeck.htm
    Beck was a Brigadier (one star). Besides, nobody born in 1842 could possibly look like the OP's picture before the turn of the century, if even then.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Absolutely not. Burnside was never a two-star general at that advanced age.
    "Absolutely"??? You've lost me. Burnside was promoted to Major General on March 18th, 1862... he was 38 years old at that time.
    Was he demoted, or ...?

As I see it ... (not easy at the present time ... off subject), he retired with the rank of Major General.

I wonder if a determination of the subject's age would be accurate, given the conditon/ quality of the photograph.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Absolutely not. Burnside was never a two-star general at that advanced age.
    not to mention
    his burnsides were connected to his moustache
    and the 2 star general in the image just had a moustache
    and small side taps ...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Beck was a Brigadier (one star). Besides, nobody born in 1842 could possibly look like the OP's picture before the turn of the century, if even then.

he still looks like Beck, even though he's not him

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm... after looking at every image of Chamberlain I could find, I must say that the ears, earlobes, nose, cleft chin, eye folds and jowls all point to Chamberlain. Looking at the original in my hand the conclusion seems inescapable. If this was taken just before the Penn Ave studio closed, then he could have been 52 or 53 years old in the photo. Not completely impossible but my gut reaction was that the man in the photo was just a bit older - maybe 55 to 60 years of age. In my original he does not look 'elderly' however. Interestingly, the reason that I missed Chamberlain was that I limited my LOC image search to generals born before 1810, since I was assuming the photo was a wartime image.

cowanw, can you flesh out the scenario wherein the Brady name is showing on the back of an image actually made by Antony co.? Did Antony publish absolute facsimiles, or would the reprint actually say Antony?

Thanks everyone for the help. I will sleep a little better now that I feel I have an ID.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Yes Chamberlain was a young man when first a two star general.
    http://www.civil-war.net/cw_images/files/images/298.jpg
    But these photos are often made at the reunions of the union army.
    Camberlain died in 1914 and this image looks quite elderly; this would not be possible as a real Brady image. Brady's Washington studio closed in 1881, New York in 1875, Putting this image before 1875, but his images were copied by Antony co. and reproduced for many years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    "Absolutely"??? You've lost me. Burnside was promoted to Major General on March 18th, 1862... he was 38 years old at that time.
    Was he demoted, or ...?
    That fella was much older than 38, methinks; and, although I do not recall seeing a post-Civil War picture of him, I cannot believe he ever got rid of the famous "Sideburns" that he made famous.

As I see it ... (not easy at the present time ... off subject), he retired with the rank of Major General.
    I expect he did, but I would have to check if it was as a MG in the Regular Army, rather than as a volunteer. He started out as a Colonel in a Rhode Island volunteer regiment.

I wonder if a determination of the subject's age would be accurate, given the conditon/ quality of the photograph.
    You wonderment is well founded. If I can isolate the URL for that image, I will send it to an old grad school friend who has published widely on uniforms. Perhaps he can provide some information.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss View Post
    I have been trolling the uncharted recesses of my photo collection and dredged up this photo CDV of what appears to be a two star general. I have never been able to identify him. Does anyone have any ideas on his identity or even possible sources of information about same?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
    Jon, If you would send the file to my email address, JayKhill@aol.com, I will forward it to an old grad school friend who is an expert on all manner of Civil War-era military uniforms and historical artifacts.
    I am going to withhold judgment about the Chamberlain i.d. Chamberlain's nose, in the Bowdoin College portrait, is straight; this nose is slightly humped. Moreover, a dated portrait of JLC taken in 1876 shows a much younger-looking man than this.
    Last edited by Anscojohn; 09-29-2009 at 12:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not entirely certain those are stars - they could be oak leaf clusters, at which point he would be either a Major or a Lieutenant Colonel, not a 2-star General. Given his overall age in the photo, I'd go with Lieutenant Colonel.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/unionofficerrank.htm

Take a look at the above for comparison.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss View Post
    cowanw, can you flesh out the scenario wherein the Brady name is showing on the back of an image actually made by Antony co.? Did Antony publish absolute facsimiles, or would the reprint actually say Antony?Best, Jon
    According to my information on the Meserve collection, Brady and Gardner supplied E. and H.T. Anthony & Co of New York with Brady negatives after they had been used for the custom trade.
    Brady was given credit on the back of Anthony cards (cartes de visites).
    In 1861 Brady made $4000 dollars on this arrangement.
    The back reads
    Published by E. & H. T. Anthony & Co.from the photographic Negatives in Brady's National Portrait Gallery
    Frederick Meserve bought 15000 to 18000 glass negatives from Anthony's in 1902.
    All I know
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How about General Buell at an older age? His hair was already starting to grey during the war...EC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin