Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,230   Posts: 1,532,859   Online: 1003

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Again, the more I look at the insignia, the more I'm convinced he's a Lieutenant Colonel - those aren't stars, they're oak leaves. The rank insignia haven't changed much in 150 years, and we still use the same oak leaf design for Majors (in gold) and Lieutenant Colonels (in silver). The rank insignia on his shoulders are too blob-ish to be stars, and too close to the ends of the epaulets.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jon koss;867810]I have been trolling the uncharted recesses of my photo collection and dredged up this photo CDV of what appears to be a two star general. I have never been able to identify him. Does anyone have any ideas on his identity or even possible sources of information about same?

Thanks in advance,

Jon, Flying Crane has a point worth pursuing. If you will send the file you uploaded to APUG to me as a PM at JayKhill@aol.com I will send it on to a grad school friend who is a museum curator specializing in such uniforms. He is also interested in historical photographs. Please send the original file; not one schrunched down to be uploadable to APUG.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Again, the more I look at the insignia, the more I'm convinced he's a Lieutenant Colonel - those aren't stars, they're oak leaves. The rank insignia haven't changed much in 150 years, and we still use the same oak leaf design for Majors (in gold) and Lieutenant Colonels (in silver). The rank insignia on his shoulders are too blob-ish to be stars, and too close to the ends of the epaulets.
    i think you are right,
    if you look at them carefully they are leaves, not stars ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must politely suggest that there are five visible points on the items in question.
    The spacing between the edge of the star(leaf) to the edge may be slightly different but at that time I don't think these guys just buzzed down to the PX to get their insignia. I don't know if these were machine made or hand made to a pattern but without the consistency of programed technology I could understand some variation in spacing or size.
    The illustration in the civil war site indicates a much smaller star than in the picture and the leaf tapers from a rounded base to a rounded point away from the ends.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This is an excellent mystery!!...EC

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Brady closed his New York Gallery in 1872. In 1890 he opened his last Washington gallery (his fifth). In 1895 he broke his leg in a traffic accident and never fully recovered. He died in 1896 so I'd say he closed his Washington Gallery sometime in between 1895 and 1896. Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the nudge TFC. You really had my curiosity up! So I looked at the original under a 4x loupe and it is pretty clear to my eyes that they are stars, as opposed to oak leaves as shown below. Are the oak leaves shown what you had in mind? They are from the uniform of a Lt. Colonel.

Thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails link121.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jon, check with the Center for Military History they may be able to help. For one they have extensive research that has already been completed and more important to you and them (and all of us) they have an ongoing project to scan and identify photographs of all soldiers. It is the considered opinion that every member of the military has been photographed (in uniform) since the Civil War. Good Luck, let us know what you find.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are stars IMHO.

I'm adding this as a reasoning. The current mess dress shoulderboards for officers use a similar layout to the normal shoulderboards of the Civil War era up until about WWI for normal wear. These resemble the shoulderboards of a General, and not a Lt. Colonel.

Besides, in the photo, you can see the points on the stars. There are not enough for oak leaves.

PE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin