Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,191   Online: 800

Shooter
    35mm

Mystery European Abbey on the Harbor

Well, as you know I have been rotating the stacks of vintage prints in my office (and closet, and drawer file, and bureau, and spare bedroom, etc!). I have been struck by the number of beautiful but anonymous prints of beautiful but anonymous people and places. The attached photo is an example. It is a brilliant vintage print of an unforgettable friar at an unforgettable location, in Europe I assume. Only thing is, everyone has long since forgotten who and where! Feel free to hazard a guess as to the location if you think you know where it is. The print is around 8 x 10 inches, by the way. In person it is really sharp and bright. The photographer captured well the dry white light of the sunstruck coast.

Sign your prints!

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5773.jpg  
    Last edited by jon koss; 09-30-2009 at 10:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cinque Terre in Italy near Genova is my best guess. The mure in the harbor with openings is still there if my memory is right.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll put in a second vote for one of the towns in the Cinque Terre. I'm thinking somewhere in the Portofino National Park, maybe outside Camogli, which has an abbey and 1200 acres of vineyards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isle of Capri over looking the harbor located in the Bay of Naples [Italy]. It is not an abbey.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It indeed looks like the spitting image of the rotunda columns - if it weren't for the fact that Capri is to the right, not the left, and the bay is much deeper. But it has been one of the most famous scenic views on this planet for a few millenia - it is extremely likely that it has been copied by the dozen all over Italy and beyond.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sevo View Post
    It indeed looks like the spitting image of the rotunda columns - if it weren't for the fact that Capri is to the right, not the left, and the bay is much deeper. But it has been one of the most famous scenic views on this planet for a few millenia - it is extremely likely that it has been copied by the dozen all over Italy and beyond.
    That is only the case if you are looking the other way. :o

Steve

Shooter
    35mm

It's Amalfi

It's Amalfi in Italy.
    I was there in 2005 and would love to go back!

If I can work out how to post a photograph of 2005 Amalfi (I'm new here) I'll post one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amalfi.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	15456

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow - I am totally impressed! Thanks, trevor8feb. I scoped Amalfi on Google and came up with the pictures below. There is no doubt that we are looking at Amalfi in my photo with the good friar. Interestingly, it looks like the pattern of the arches right at the waterline has changed since the time of my photo and the stereo card. Modern shots seem to show additional arches right along the water.

Best to all APUGers!

J

Quote Originally Posted by trevor8feb View Post
    It's Amalfi in Italy.
    I was there in 2005 and would love to go back!

If I can work out how to post a photograph of 2005 Amalfi (I'm new here) I'll post one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amalfi.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	15456
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Underwood_&_Underwood_©_1900_-_Amalfi,_Italy,_from_the_Capuchin_Convent.jpg   763px-Sommer,_Giorgio_(1834-1914)_-_n._8160_-_Amalfi_dai_Cappuccini.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, I will go with Amalfi too.

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin