Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,982   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Moonrise for sale

Swann Auction Galleries in NY will be offering a vintage print of Adam's Moonrise at auction this week. It is expected to sell for a mere $350000 - 450000!

The print is one of Adam's earlier versions of this image. Instead of the inky black sky, there is a subtle range of grays, and a whole lot more detail in the foreground.

The image can be seen on pages 8/9 of the auction catalog.

Incidentally, the catalog indicates that the print is mounted on Crescent board. So much for the notion that dry-mounted prints won't sell.
    Last edited by Monophoto; 11-28-2009 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Louie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow. Where vision and preparation meet opportunity. I wish I could sell a print for 3500 - 4500. Heck, 350 - 450, who am I kidding!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course it helps the sale price for the artist to have built quite a legacy and be dead for 25 years. Anyone know what Ansel was selling "Moonrise" for prior to his death in 1985?

I looked through the catalogue and it is quite a collection of photographs up for auction. My favorite of the bunch is the Harry Callahan image of trees in winter simply titled "Chicago". That is one of my favorite photographs of all time. But alas at $15,000-$20,000 it is out of my price range.
    Last edited by Jim Chinn; 11-28-2009 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is just a touch out of my price range , but at least it has prompted me to order his 2010 calendar at the rather more affordable price of £8.98(Amazon UK or $12.91 Amazon.com)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wowee, 350-450k. big money. print's not that big though. didn't he print that up to 30x40 or some awful size? Heard on KFI recently that this is the kind of thing that rich folks are "investing" in, art, and tangible objects. To me its smart, as long as it appreciates in value over time.

btw, steve mccury's AFGHAN GIRL (cibachrome is in there as well)

pg. 201 5-7k is the estimated selling price. If I had the disposable income for it, I'd get it .

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn View Post
    Of course it helps the sale price for the artist to have built quite a legacy and be dead for 25 years. Anyone know what Ansel was selling "Moonrise" for prior to his death in 1985?

I looked through the catalogue and it is quite a collection of photographs up for auction. My favorite of the bunch is the Harry Callahan image of trees in winter simply titled "Chicago". That is one of my favorite photographs of all time. But alas at $15,000-$20,000 it is out of my price range.
    This much I know. When I was in Carmel in 1977, my wife became a "Moonie" and wanted to purchase "Moonrise." Ansel was selling his 16 x 20 images at that time for $1500. We couldn't afford it at that time, so we settled for a couple of Cole Weston prints of "Pepper Number 30" and "Nude 227" for $150 each.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka View Post
    We couldn't afford it at that time, so we settled for a couple of Cole Weston prints of "Pepper Number 30" and "Nude 227" for $150 each.
    Why don't you go ahead and rub it in...!

So, any of these prints pretty much blow any financial investment out of the water, no?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At that price I would like to have two of them.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw a 30x40 Moonrise on sale at the Gallery of Fine Photography in New Orleans in 1990 - the price was $45,000.

If the auction next week brings in $450,000 - that's about a 12.5% rate of return.

Maybe I should tell my SmithBarney guy about this?
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone else notice that the William Eggleston books listed are quite cheap compared to other photographers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin