Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,440   Online: 900

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Metal 35mm film canisters

Hi all--
    Just curious if anyone collects the plain jane metal film canisters. I have a bunch of the cool Kodak ones in various colors, but I recently got a bag of the bare metal ones. I'm going to keep a couple of them, but I have something like 40 of them now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails metal film canisters.jpg  
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

I don't collect them, but I do have one from a roll of Kodachrome from the 60s. Just a little bit of nostalgia to make me smile whenever I run across it in my drawer of photographic miscellany.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had forgotten about them, but screw-top metal film canisters were salt, sugar and spice carriers of choice back in the old Boy Scout days. Wonder if they were toxic and we didn't know it...
    "To a photographer the world consists of an infinite number of vantage points -- places to stand -- of which very few are altogether satisfactory." (John Szarkowski, Atget)

My flickr

Images
    I like the 120 cans, too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like using these, especially the ones from Leica. They don't screw off like yours but when I grab a camera and a pocket of film, the canisters are easier to ID which reloads I have in them. Plastic may be better at keeping things dry and airtight but these tins are some of the neat little things that make photography fun.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM me if you're interested in getting rid of a few of your plain-jane ones, I've been trying to track some down recently but apparently they've collected value as ironic memory card cases for digital shooters now...
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not a collector but I have a habit of keeping them when I come upon them. They remind me of my youth! My last purchase for $0.10 was a yellow topped one for 828. If I could trade some of my dupes I would consider it. (Perhaps I am a collector!)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    When I was a kid we collected them , then went to the drug store bought salt peter and a few other materials , I wasn't the chemist in the group. We drilled a hole in the top put in a wick filled the cannister with our mixture.
    We then used a very long heavy duty tube, rammed into the ground with a hole for the wick , placed the cannister at the bottom of the tube wick exposed outside the tube , filled the tube with rocks and gravel and light the wick.
    We could send the rocks flying over the house onto the road and really raise havic with these little devices.. Funny how I ended up in this business.

Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Hi all--
    Just curious if anyone collects the plain jane metal film canisters. I have a bunch of the cool Kodak ones in various colors, but I recently got a bag of the bare metal ones. I'm going to keep a couple of them, but I have something like 40 of them now.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, you could have ended up in the A-Team...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    When I was a kid we collected them , then went to the drug store bought salt peter and a few other materials , I wasn't the chemist in the group. We drilled a hole in the top put in a wick filled the cannister with our mixture.
    We then used a very long heavy duty tube, rammed into the ground with a hole for the wick , placed the cannister at the bottom of the tube wick exposed outside the tube , filled the tube with rocks and gravel and light the wick.
    We could send the rocks flying over the house onto the road and really raise havic with these little devices.. Funny how I ended up in this business.
    Note to TSA: Please scrutinize Mr. Carnie very closely when he flies.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin