Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,167   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a box of un-opened Kodachrome 4x5....so torturous!!

http://www.mattosbornephotography.co...rome%204x5.jpg
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He may already have this stuff but I bet PKM-25 (Dan Bayer) would love to have hold of the roll and the sheets.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a unpened box of 12 Roebuck (I guess before he met Sears ) 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 orthochromatic dry plates. The box is marked extra fast but there isn't any speed on the box; no expiration date either.

John
    www.TimeFreezePhotos.com

"Accept the fact that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow, 4x5 kodachrome. cream dream.... hahaha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Zeiss Contax camera my father gave me when I was a teenager he brought back from WW11 still had some Zeiss Ikon film in it, as far as I remember, the camera is pre war I don't know when Zeiss stopped marketing this film, but certainly in the 1930s.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-20-2010 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My grandfather just recently gave me his Kodak Retina II from the WWII. He also gave me his camera bag and inside it is a roll of exposed 35mm Ansco color film in its aluminum/steel canister. My guess is that the film is from the 50's or maybe 60's. I am in a photography class and really want to develop it. Anybody know what the developer would be? Would it just be regular C-41?
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have just shot a few half-plate sheets of Kodak Ortho-X from I believe 1938. Luckily it is B&W and works fine. Not quite sure if it is giving the full ASA125 though. I have a second un-opened box from the same batch that I shall store for a few more years....

Evan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Really?! I always wondered what safety-film meant. That makes sense I guess. You know, the bikes we take for common today were once known as safety bikes, compared to the giant front wheeled 'penny-farthings' of the day.

cheers!
    My understanding is that flammable nitrate-base film was replaced with a more stable acetate base, which was safer, and marketed as "safety film." I have never known just how flammable it was, whether it would spontaneously ignite perhaps after some time to oxidize in air, or if the heat of a movie projector would ignite it, or what.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    My understanding is that flammable nitrate-base film was replaced with a more stable acetate base, which was safer, and marketed as "safety film." I have never known just how flammable it was, whether it would spontaneously ignite perhaps after some time to oxidize in air, or if the heat of a movie projector would ignite it, or what.
    Dan
    That's correct....the nitrate film is VERY inflammable and needs no oxygen to continue burning once lit. It also decays readily and becomes very unstable. Despite precautions, there were some horrific accidents in the early days of movie theatres.

As regards the Kodachrome found by the OP, there is no chance of it now being processed or even being usable. But it's very collectable, and, if the box, etc., is in good condition, it's really a museum-quality item.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a lot of 620 film that I purchased for the spools I found a box of Ektachrome develop before Apr, 1949. One end is torn off but there is a sealed roll inside. Whether it is the original I don't know. Interesting to me the box says "Processing directions packed in Kodak EKtachrome Processing Kit" and on another side "This film will not be processed by Eastman Kodak Company".
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin