Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,839   Posts: 1,582,467   Online: 760

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Unopened Kodachrome - Expired 1942 - WHOA

Yesterday at ye' old local antique mall, I found a box of Kodachrome Type A film, completely unopened with an expiration date of 1942! Literally, the box is still sealed shut. It's 828 film designed for the Kodak Bantam.

So, how rare a find is this? Is any one interested in it? Since it's 828 I assume you could roll it into a 35mm cartridge. Then again, I doubt if shooting and processing (if Dwayne's would even do it) would be worth it. I don't know what to do with it, but ideas would be appreciated it.

Can't wait to hear your responses.

P.S. Also I got an old Agfa tin, with no film, but it's a cool old canister. I believe it's 35mm, but for bulk loading. It too expired in 1942, and on the tin has a warning about flammability, as it's a nitrate film! It's Ultra-Speed Panchromatic film. And by ultra-speed they mean 64 I think. There's some hand written numbers on it, one for a Weston number of 100 and then 64, which doesn't actually add up, as I understand it. Whatever, it's a neat old piece of history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice find! Not sure how rare it is. I have a box of 4x5 Kodachrome sheet film with a 1949 expiration date, which I paid $5 for when a local camera store closed at the end of 2008. Even if there was a possibility of using a seventy-year-old film and getting something, I don't believe your film could be processed, as it's not even the same process as the current K-14 Kodachrome process.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first Kodachrome films had been processed together with the second generation fims in the second generation process.
    I expect the wrong-processing in the 4th process of today the lesser problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought my double 8mm roll of Kodachrome II that expired in November 1969 was a nice find. I'd say those '40s rolls are more interesting. I have no plan to shoot mine. I don't even plan on opening the box. You mention the flammability of nitrate film. Mine says safety film. Does that mean non-flammable, non-nitrate film?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Safety-Film means Non-Nitrate film.

(and by this: lesser flamable...)
    Last edited by AgX; 02-12-2010 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really?! I always wondered what safety-film meant. That makes sense I guess. You know, the bikes we take for common today were once known as safety bikes, compared to the giant front wheeled 'penny-farthings' of the day.

Very cool, yeah I suspect shooting the film would be blasphemous, and pointless. Best to take a picture of it and put it on flickr for all to see.

cheers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Background gamma radiation will have fogged it completely (decades ago). It's worth more as ephemera, unopened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great Find! I'd love to stuble upon this!!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektagraphic Great Find! I'd love to stuble upon this!!!
    Me too, I do have a sealed box of Ansco Color 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet marked develop before Apr. 1950
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking I should keep one of my current boxes of Kodachrome for future displaying of the two boxes, over 60 years apart.

The amazing part is, I found this film at the antique store the same day my processed Kodachrome came back from Dwayne's. Crazy!

The Kodachrome gods are with us....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin