Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,774   Online: 1263

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

The first Rolleiflex, the Original

They are four.
    They were born between 1929 and 1932.
    They are not easy to use : if you try to put a 120 rollfilm in it, you can't close the back ! Screen is dark; and, if you don't pay attention, you don't remember if you have taken the picture : you advance the film; or not...
    But these Original's are so lovely !

Number 1, the 611, the older with Tessar f4,5 taking lens, and number 2, the 612 (f3,8), have not a hinged back : some light may pass through...
    Number 3 (613, f,4,5) and number 4 (614, f3,8) have a hinged back.

If you find one and like it, then you'll love TLR's !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4_Original.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Built to last....a few lifetimes
    Are the lenses coated in these?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, lenses are not coated; these have no modifications.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a late 30ies Rolleicord II (Triotar 3,5) and a "fake TLR" Voigtländer Brillant "Landschaft-Gruppe-Portrait" (Landscape-Group-Portrait) from the year 1933 which my Grandma got as a birthday present when she was twelve.

And yes, I love them both, it's great to take pictures with them, I even used the Cord for my holiday pictures last year and they were lovely - although most of them were in colour (Kodak Portra 160 NC is a nice film for these cameras).

Best regards from Germany!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my Rolleiflex but those are awesome!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have only one "Original" in my collection, and I love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't the first Rolleis use 117 film? If so, 120 wouldn't fit. You're right, they are really nice. Always the best quality. I have a book about the history of Franke & Heidecke (sp?), but not where I can find it. It's really interesting.
    My 1949 model has a coated Schneider taking lens and an uncoated viewing lens. Takes really sharp photos even though this isn't supposed to be the best lens. I love using it.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, Original's used 117 film and too big 120 spool doesn't fit.
    But they often were modified to use 620, which fits but with a smallest hole : the winding key to insert the film spool was changed; and some could use 117 and 620 :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original_3.jpg  

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have film in my near mint Original Rolleiflex 3,8. I re-spooled the film on a 620-spool (it fits in the bottom chamber), and use a 117 as the take-up spool. I'll have to unload the film in the darkroom.

The 117-spool is like a mix between 120 and 620. The wooden spool diameter and keyholes are like in a 120, but the flanges have a smaller diameter just like a 620.

On a 117-roll you could take six 6x6 exposures. It was called "B1" or "6x6-film" in Germany. 120-film was called "B2" or "6x9-film".

120-film didn't have the markings for 6x6 back then, so when the first Rolleiflex Standard came on the market in 1932 you lined up the 6x9-marking for the first frame in the red window on the bottom of the camera, and then engaged the mechanical counter. The first batch of the Standard also had a red window on the back to use with 117-film.
    J. Patric Dahlén

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Andy, do you have an original Rolleiflex with a later added mechanical counter?
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin